Deemed university status requests put on holdJune 8th, 2009 - 4:06 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 8: HRD Minister Kapil Sibal announced on Monday that the government has decided that it will not accept any further applications of aspiring deemed universities and would conduct a thorough review of the functioning of such universities.
“The ministry will set up its own committee, which will visit the deemed universities. May be the last 50 universities which were given the status,” Kapil Sibal said.
“The report will come in three months. Depending on the gravity of violations of guidelines, the ministry will take action, which could include withdrawal of ‘deemed-to-be-university’ status from the errant institutions,” Sibal added.
Kapil Sibal said the key agenda of his ministry, apart from the review of the procedure for grant of ‘Deemed-to-be-University’ status, are expansion and access to quality education for all sections of society.
“We will rethink the structure in which all this must happen. At the moment, it is happening under Section 3 of the UGC Act. Therefore, it is under the control of the UGC and we will do a rethinking to what must be put in place to enable our systems to be transparent and accountable and to maintain the issues of excellence, equity and quality,” Sibal said.
The decision comes in the wake of a raging controversy over huge capitation fees being demanded by professional colleges from students. (ANI)
- Sibal cracks whip on two universities, halts 'deemed status' for others (Lead) - Jun 04, 2009
- Notice to two universities, no 'deemed status' to others for now - Jun 04, 2009
- Government probing spurt in deemed universities: Sibal - Jul 07, 2009
- Blacklisted universities were family controlled: Ministry - Feb 24, 2010
- Posts for SCs, STs lie vacant in central universities - Aug 20, 2012
- Punjab seeks centre's help over Thapar University quota - Apr 20, 2012
- Punjab government takes on Thapar University - Apr 24, 2012
- Jamia Millia not a minority university - Dec 02, 2009
- Seven things to look at before you walk into a college (Comment) - Jun 19, 2011
- Education must be above political agenda: Sibal - Apr 18, 2012
- Free education for CWG medal winning students - Oct 08, 2010
- Government hopeful of passing important education bills - Apr 22, 2012
- UGC varsities should be transparent: HRD ministry - Jul 17, 2009
- Sibal offers free education for student CWG medal winners - Oct 08, 2010
- Deemed universities to be evaluated - Jul 13, 2009