Declaring Gilgit a part of Pakistan is violation of UN resolution: Bhim SinghNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:54 am ICT by admin
Singh expressed apprehensions that the declaration would threaten the peace prospects in South Asia.
“Converting the Gilgit council in to a Legislative Assembly and proclaiming the city to be popular city of Pakistan is unacceptable and uncalled for,” the NPP chief said at a recent press conference here.
He added that the 28000 sq kilometre area forms a part of the erstwhile State of Jammu and Kashmir, which could not be ceded away from it.
Singh further said that even the Pakistani Supreme Court and the apex court of the Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) have made it clear that the entire Gilgit region formed part of the Jammu and Kashmir state as it existed under Dogra rule.
“By proclaiming the region of Gilgit as a city of Pakistan infringes the very letter and spirit of UN resolutions and the ongoing peace process. Separating the region from PoK is a condemnable act by Government of Pakistan and it has placed a question mark on the future status of the disputed territory,” Singh said, adding that move would not be accepted. (ANI)
- 'India should reserve IIT, IIM seats for Pakistani Kashmiris' - May 10, 2011
- Claim Pakistani Kashmir before China takes over, India urged - May 10, 2011
- Pakistan Army and ISI is kidnapping and killing people of Gilgit Baltistan (Part-2) - Dec 18, 2010
- Pak rebuffs India's stance on occupied Kashmir - Jan 02, 2010
- Jammu, the refugee city of India (Part-I) - May 03, 2011
- Paharis moot meeting community in PoK for ST status drive - Sep 09, 2012
- India monitoring border developments for national security: Krishna - Apr 06, 2011
- India conveys concern to China on Gilgit, Kashmir (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- Govt. monitoring situation along PoK, Krishna assures BJP - Apr 07, 2011
- All Party National Alliance to observe Oct. 22 as "Black Day" from next year - Oct 26, 2010
- POK leaders justify India's objection to Chinese projects - Oct 14, 2009
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant arrested in Jammu region - May 16, 2012
- India conveys concerns over Chinese presence in PoK - Sep 03, 2010
- Pakistan has no right to discuss Gilgit-Baltistan in its parliament: BNF chief - Feb 23, 2011
- Pakistan denies giving de-facto control of Gilgit Baltistan to China - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: apex court, baltistan, erstwhile, gigit, gilgit, government of pakistan, jammu and kashmir, judgements, kashmir state, kilometre, legislative assembly, npp, pakistan supreme court, peace prospects, pok, president pervez musharraf, recent press, state of jammu and kashmir