Decision of Haneef’s return to Australia rests on his family

January 5th, 2008 - 9:03 pm ICT by admin  

Bangalore, Jan 5 (ANI): Mohammed Haneef, the Indian doctor who was cleared of all the terror charges by Australian courts after being detained in connection with the aborted UK bomb attack, has said that he may not return to Melbourne, where he was employed before being arrested, since his family members are not in its favour.
“The first thing would be my family’s decision whether they decide to send me back to Australia. I have to discuss this in great detail with them because they need a firm reassurance from the authorities in the Australian federal police that I won’t come to any harm or there won’t be any other issues related to this aspect,” Haneef told reporters.
Haneef, who returned to India in July last year after being cleared of charges, maintained that he has second thoughts about returning to Australia and would take a decision on it in the near future.
When asked whether he is considering filing a defamation suit against the Australian government, he said that he would like the Indian government to initiate any such steps.
“At this point of time, I hope the (Indian) government would come up with the idea and I would very hopeful and grateful if they come up with this idea at the end of this judicial enquiry,” he said.
Meanwhile, a Federal Court judge in Melbourne also upheld a previous appellate court order for reinstating Haneef’s Australian work visa. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |

Subscribe