Debt waiver scheme for farmers costFebruary 16th, 2009 - 3:34 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 16 (ANI): Acting Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee today said under the Agricultural Debt Waiver and Debt Relief Scheme 2008, debt waiver and relief amounting to Rs 65,300 crore covering 3.6 crore farmers has been given by the Government since June 30, 2008.
Presenting the Interim Budget 2009-2010 in the Lok Sabha here today, Mukherjee reiterated that in order to ensure remunerative prices for the farmers for their crops, the UPA government has substantially hiked the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for wheat and paddy over the last five years.
“Since 2003-04, MSP for the common variety of paddy has been increased from Rs. 550 to Rs. 900 per quintal for the crop year 2008-09. In case of wheat, the increase has been from Rs. 630 in 2003-04 to Rs.1,080 per quintal for the year 2009,” he added.
Ensuring the commitment of his Government towards food security in the country and meeting the food requirement of the poor under the Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS), Mukherjee stated that in spite of higher procurement costs and higher international prices during the last five years, the central issue prices under the TPDS have been maintained at the level of July 2000 in case of Below Poverty Line (BPL) and the Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) categories and at July 2002 levels for Above Poverty Line (APL) category. (ANI)
- Akali Dal rejects hike in paddy, cotton MSP - Jun 01, 2012
- Hooda seeks Rs.200 bonus on paddy - Oct 06, 2011
- Akali Dal slams insufficient paddy support price hike - Jun 10, 2011
- Haryana seeks Rs.1,800 MSP for paddy - Feb 17, 2012
- Badal rejects new minimum price for wheat - Oct 08, 2011
- Bihar procures 16 lakh tonnes of paddy - Mar 16, 2012
- Can't link grain procurement to storage capacity, apex court told - Sep 06, 2010
- After drought, bumper paddy crop cheers Bihar farmers - Dec 12, 2011
- Cabinet hikes rice purchase price to Rs.1,280 per quintal - Jun 14, 2012
- Kashmir sets paddy MSP at Rs.1,080 per quintal - Oct 11, 2011
- Can't follow tips on foodgrain storage, Supreme Court told (Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Centre's bonus on wheat unjustified: Badal - Apr 16, 2011
- Bihar buys six crore gunny bags - Feb 14, 2012
- Haryana paddy procurement to begin Oct 1 - Sep 22, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
Tags: aay, bpl, crore, debt relief scheme, debt waiver, finance minister, food security, interim budget, Lok Sabha, msp, paddy, poverty line, pranab mukherjee, procurement costs, public distribution system, quintal, rs 1, rs 65, UPA, yojana