Death toll in Delhi serial blasts rises 30September 14th, 2008 - 12:54 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 14 (ANI): The death toll from the series of five bomb blasts that rocked market places on Saturday evening has climbed up to 30.
Around 125 people were injured in the blasts that took place in New Delhis prime market places like Karol Baghs Gaffar market, Connaught Place, Greater Kailash-Is M-Block market and Barakhamba Road in a span of 40-50 minutes.
Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil announced an ex-gratia of Rs eight lakh to the next of the kin of those killed and Rs 50,000 as compensation to the injured.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit announced a compensation of five lakh rupees for the family of the deceased and 50,000 rupees for the injured after an emergency meeting of the State Cabinet last night.
Meanwhile, President Pratibha Patil has wished speedy recovery to the injured and appealed to the people of Delhi to maintain peace and calm in the face of this adversity.
Vice-President Hamid Ansari expressed shock that the blasts have caused fatalities and casualties among innocent people. He said that such dastardly acts of violence were intended to disturb peace and harmony and should be thwarted.
The first blast took place at Ghaffar market at 6.10 p.m. The explosive was kept near a car. Immediately after that, two bombs triggered at Connaught Place while another explosion rocked M-Block market in Greater Kailash-I. The bombs were hidden in dustbins.
Meanwhile, Indian Mujahideen claimed responsibility for the bomb blasts. In an email to media organisations, the terror outfit that had claimed responsibility for the July 26 Ahmedabad blasts, said that it had carried out the serial blasts in Delhi. It threatened that there would be nine blasts in all.
Sarojini Nagar market, scene of the pre-Diwali eve blasts in 2005, in which more than 60 people were killed, has been evacuated.
Preliminary examination of the blast site said that low intensity ammonium nitrate tied to integrated circuit had been used in almost all the serial blasts. Timer devices were used in all the blasts. (ANI)
- Charges framed against 13 in Delhi blasts of 2008 - May 06, 2011
- Arguments of three more Delhi blasts accused over - Aug 19, 2010
- 2008 Delhi blasts: memories linger, lessons yet to be learnt - Sep 13, 2012
- High court blast is 19th attack in Delhi in 15 years - Sep 07, 2011
- 2008 Delhi serial blasts: Court to frame charges Feb 21 (Second lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Delhi serial blasts: Charges to be framed Feb 21 (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Terror e-mail holds back shoppers in Delhi, suburbs - Sep 13, 2011
- At least 20 dead, 90 injured in serial blasts in Delhi (Update) - Sep 13, 2008
- Police releases sketches of Delhi blasts suspects - Sep 16, 2008
- Serial blasts rock Delhi; at least 18 dead (Update) - Sep 13, 2008
- Home Minister chairs high-level meeting to assess security situation - Sep 14, 2008
- At least 40 injured in serial blasts in Delhi (Update) - Sep 13, 2008
- Delhi markets deserted after Mumbai blasts - Jul 14, 2011
- Delhi blast: Suspects sent to 12 days'' police custody - Oct 04, 2008
- Multi-faith prayers at Sarojini Nagar blast site - Oct 29, 2010
Tags: acts of violence, ammonium nitrate, bomb blasts, connaught place, diwali, ex gratia, integrated circuit, kailash, lakh, mujahideen, peace and harmony, preliminary examination, president pratibha patil, prime market, rs 50, sarojini nagar, sheila dikshit, speedy recovery, state cabinet, union home minister