Dead lion accorded last rites by Bhopal zoo authoritiesSeptember 20th, 2008 - 4:26 pm ICT by ANI
Bhopal , Sept 20 (ANI): Officials of the ”Van Vihar” zoo in Bhopal performed the last rites of a 19-year lion.
The lion was brought to the zoo in 2006 after being rescued from a circus.
The death of the lion, ”Badal”, comes after that of Rini, the only white tigress of the zoo that died last week.
“Badal was brought to the zoo after being rescued from Rajmahal circus. It died a natural death due to old age. At present, the Van Vihar zoo has 12 tigers, 14 lions and 16 panthers,” said S.S Rajput, Director, Van Vihar.
The zoo is now planning to induct more animals, including a white tigress.
Asiatic lions are different from African lions with a characteristic skin fold on their bellies and thinner manes on the males.
Wildlife activists say the lions are also under threat from thousands of villagers living in and around the forests and want them to be relocated to save the endangered species.
India is also struggling to save its endangered tigers, as people invade their habitat and poachers kill them for body parts that fetch huge sums in the international black market. (ANI)
- Another lion dies in Bhopal's national park - May 30, 2011
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012
- Eight-year-old tigress dies at Van Vihar National Park - Jun 10, 2010
- Bhopal national park may get two white tigers - Jan 25, 2009
- The only white tigress of Patna zoo dies - Jul 03, 2011
- Leopard, lion die in Bangalore zoo - Oct 24, 2010
- Bhopal office of SBI adopts tigress (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Feb 01, 2010
- Bihar office of SBI adopts tigress - Feb 01, 2010
- Wildlife guardians: Adoptions rise at Van Vihar (With Image) - Jun 22, 2011
- Rescued lions rehabilitated at Bhopal national park - Jul 01, 2010
- Panna has a new resident - Kanha's orphan tigress - Nov 13, 2011
- Kanha's second orphaned tigress sent to Panna reserve - Nov 13, 2011
- Raj Thackeray puts cash rewards to save tigers - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: activists, african lions, asiatic lions, badal, bellies, body parts, circus, dead lion, endangered species, endangered tigers, forests, last rites, manes, natural death, panthers, poachers, rajput, sums, white tigress, zoo