DD Lapang to be sworn in as Meghalaya CMMay 12th, 2009 - 10:38 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 12 (ANI): The Congress party stitched an alliance with regional outfit UDP following failure of talks with the NCP to form the government in Meghalaya.
Senior Congress leader DD Lapang will be sworn in on Wednesday as Chief Minister of Meghalaya.
Lapang, who arrived at Shillong from New Delhi on Tuesday morning, called on Governor R S Mooshary and enclosed a letter of support from the UDP and independent MLA Donkupar Massar, taking the tally of the alliance to 37 members in the 60-member Assembly.
The Meghalaya United Alliance (led by Congress) has got the majority for formation and continuation of a viable government after coming of UDP to its fold, Lapang said.
“We have signed an agreement before the Governor pledging our support to the Congress. The new government will be sworn in tomorrow. We have been given two berths in the cabinet,” UDP president and former Chief Minister Donkupar Roy told reporters.
As per the agreement the UDP will get a deputy chief ministership and a cabinet berth.
There was no official word from the Congress, but party insiders said “unreasonable demands” by the NCP like five berths and opposition from a good chunk of state Congress members prompted the party to align with the UDP. (ANI)
- Lapang to be sworn in as Meghalaya Chief Minister today - May 13, 2009
- Sangma to be elected next Meghalaya chief minister - Apr 19, 2010
- Meghalaya cabinet to be expanded on Friday - Apr 22, 2010
- D D Lapang sworn in as Meghalaya Chief Minister - May 13, 2009
- Meghalaya heads for fourth government in two years - Apr 17, 2010
- Lapang seeks bigger ministry in Meghalaya - Mar 06, 2010
- Meghalaya's rebel Congress legislators to meet Sonia - Jun 05, 2011
- I will ensure coherence and unity in CLP: Sangma - Apr 20, 2010
- Threat to Sangma's government in Meghalaya: Minister - Apr 12, 2011
- Lapang resigns, Sangma to be sworn-in Tuesday (Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- Meghalaya now has two chief ministers - Jan 31, 2010
- Meghalaya's UDP to support Sangma in presidential poll - Jul 02, 2012
- Lapang meets Meghalaya governor as Congress faces rebellion - Apr 14, 2010
- Four chief ministers, no big deal: Lapang - Mar 24, 2010
- Sangma expands ministry, inducts eight - Apr 24, 2010
Tags: berth, berths, chief minister, chief ministership, chunk, congress leader, congress members, congress party, continuation, dd, member assembly, ncp, New Delhi, party insiders, shillong, state congress, tally, tuesday morning, united alliance, unreasonable demands