David Tennant refused to star in Doctor Who alongside J. K. RowlingSeptember 17th, 2008 - 2:31 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 17 (ANI): TV producer Russell T Davies has revealed that his team had to cancel a Dr Who Christmas special after the shows legend David Tennant refused to star alongside British author J. K. Rowling.
He said that the idea has had to be scrapped in order to keep Tennant, 37, happy.
Davies had to ditch his idea of writing the Harry Potter creator into this years Christmas Day episode as a gift to young fans, after Tennant declared he thought the idea sounded like a spoof.
Had the show been allowed to go on, the episode would have featured Rowlings imagination, a world full of magic and wizards, which turns into reality after she is attacked by a giant space bug.
Zap! JKs imagination becomes real! A world of Victorian magic replaces the present-day world, the Sun quoted Davies explaining.
The Doctor arrives and has to battle through a world of witches and wizards, with wands and spells, to reach JK Rowling at the heart of it all, he said.
But when it was known that tenth Time Lord Tennant was not in favour of the idea, Davies emailed his bosses about it.
David doesnt like the JK idea. He thinks it sounds like a spoof so weve paused slightly, wondering whether to win him round or just abandon something hes not going to be happy with, he had written.
A very unhappy Davies had to do away with the idea, revealing to his colleagues that Tennants happiness comes first.
Weve got to keep him happy. He keeps us happy. Plus he might be right. So that idea has parked itself, he added. (ANI)
- Record breaking Harry Potter theme park Universal Orlando wows visitors - Oct 16, 2010
- Tom Felton got emotional - Apr 01, 2012
- Fans dress in cloaks, hats to theatres for Potter farewell - Jul 16, 2011
- Harry Potter and the Indian fan - one last magical time (Feature) - Jul 09, 2011
- Harry Potter Theme Park To Open Soon - May 30, 2010
- J K Rowling embroiled in 'Harry Potter' plagiarism row - Oct 15, 2010
- US judge dismisses Harry Potter plagiarism suit - Jan 07, 2011
- Daniel Radcliffe: No More Potter Movie Without J K Rowling Book - Nov 30, 2010
- 'Karthick' has nothing new to offer (Kannada Film Review) - Feb 26, 2011
- Harry Potter becomes experiential in digital space - Jun 24, 2011
- Daniel Radcliffe vetoed future Potter books - Apr 27, 2011
- No more Harry Potter books: Daniel Radcliffe - Nov 17, 2010
- Latest Potter film 'has several new scenes that did not appear in book' - Nov 12, 2010
- Bill Nighy had turned down the role of Doctor Who - Jun 05, 2012
- J.K Rowling 'Harry Potter' Plagiarism Dismissed in US - Jan 08, 2011
Tags: british author, christmas day, david tennant, ditch, doctor who, favour, giant space, happiness, imagination, j k rowling, jk rowling, present day, russell t davies, space bug, spoof, tenth time, time lord, tv producer, wands, witches and wizards