Danny Boyle triumphs at Oscars with best director awardFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 11:32 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Feb 23 (IANS) British filmmaker Danny Boyle received the best director Oscar for his movie “Slumdog Millionaire” that tells the heartwarming tale of a Mumbai slum boy who goes on to win a multimillion dollar quiz show on TV.
Boyle’s “Slumdog Millionaire” highlights the pain and misery of the impoverished section who lives in the slums of India. He set his story in Mumbai’s teeming slums in Nehru Nagar and nearby Dharavi, which is home to more than a million people and is the largest slum in Asia.
The director has woven hope and romance in his otherwise grim narrative based on Indian diplomat Vikas swarup’s novel “Q & A”.
“I want to thank my dad, my sisters and my wife… one person we haven’t thanked is the choreographer who directed the last song in the film - Longines. I want to thank him too,” said Boyle after receiving the award here Sunday.
Boyle’s film was lauded in the West and grossed more than $100 million. It bagged seven British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) awards and four Golden Globes.
- India's poverty in Oscar spotlight - Feb 20, 2009
- Mumbai's Dharavi slum a vibrant remittance hub: Banker - May 19, 2011
- "Slumdog Millionaire" child actress Rubina Ali loses home in a fire - Mar 08, 2011
- Rahman gets BAFTA nomination for '127 Hours' music - Jan 18, 2011
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' gets best adapted screenplay Oscar - Feb 23, 2009
- Rahman loses BAFTA - Feb 14, 2011
- Best cinematography Oscar goes to 'Slumdog Millionaire' - Feb 23, 2009
- Anil Kapoor thrilled about BAFTA - Feb 08, 2012
- I've never dreamt of winning these awards: Rahman - Feb 01, 2010
- Diego Forlan recognises Anil Kapoor - Aug 02, 2010
- Another win for 'Slumdog Millionaire' - Feb 16, 2009
- All gone in fire, grieves 'Slumdog' star Rubina Ali - Mar 05, 2011
- Bandra's 'Millionaire' star remains at neighbour's mercy - Mar 07, 2011
- Slum children in Kolkata inspired after watching ''Slumdog Millionaire'' - Mar 09, 2009
- Dharavi re-development set to take off - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: 100 million, best director oscar, british academy, british filmmaker, choreographer, danny boyle, dharavi, director award, film and television, golden globes, indian diplomat, multimillion dollar, mumbai slum, nehru nagar, oscars, pain and misery, quiz show, slums of india, television arts, triumphs