Daniel Radcliffe suffers from brain disorder dyspraxiaAugust 18th, 2008 - 3:26 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Aug 18 (ANI): English actor Daniel Radcliffe has revealed that he suffers from dyspraxia, a condition that can cause problems with co-ordination.
The brain disorder is often associated with clumsiness, and it impairs the organisation of movement.
For Radcliffe, even tying a shoelace has become a problem.
“I sometimes think, ”Why, oh why, has Velcro not taken off?”” the New York Daily News quoted him as telling the Daily Mail.
“Yes, Dan Radcliffe does have dyspraxia. This is something he has never hidden. Thankfully his condition is very mild and at worst manifests itself in an inability to ties his shoe laces and bad handwriting,” News.com.au quoted Radcliffes representative as adding.
The 19-year-old actor revealed that he had become an actor partly because his dyspraxia meant he was not successful at school.
He also revealed how his mother had not been too keen on him becoming a thespian, but eventually allowed him to audition for the role of young David Copperfield in a BBC special, in order to boost his confidence.
“I was having a hard time at school in terms of being crap at everything, with no discernible talent,” he said.
Radcliffe got the part, two years before nabbing the role of boy wizard Harry Potter, but it is not known when he was diagnosed with the illness and how severe it is.
Dyspraxia is a life-long illness and in severe cases it can affect a person’’s motor skills and ability to perform in stressful situations. The disorder is more common in men than women. (ANI)
- British iPod kids struggling with daily chores - Sep 01, 2011
- Radcliffe's parents initially against Potter role - Nov 23, 2011
- Radcliffe learnt from 'Harry Potter' mistakes - Dec 25, 2011
- Radcliffe plays drunk in new video - Jun 21, 2012
- Actor Mohanlal gets bail in defamation case - Jun 17, 2011
- Minister apologises for child tying shoelaces - Jan 22, 2012
- Daniel Radcliffe vetoed future Potter books - Apr 27, 2011
- I'm terrible at dating: Daniel Radcliffe - Jan 07, 2012
- 'Potter' success cannot be repeated: Radcliffe - Mar 19, 2011
- Sexual assault lawsuit against David Copperfield dropped - Apr 21, 2010
- Radcliffe 'not sure' he can stop himself sleeping with Broadway dancers - Oct 12, 2010
- Indian Minister Gauri Shankar Bisen involved in shoe-lace tying row - Jan 23, 2012
- Radcliffe learns from 'Harry Potter' mistakes - Dec 25, 2011
- Doting husband David Bowie ties his wife's shoelaces! - Dec 25, 2010
- Radcliffe went to 'Harry Potter' shoots beady-eyed - Feb 04, 2012