Damien Hirst’’s UK art sale breaks records, rakes in PS70.5m in its first daySeptember 16th, 2008 - 5:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 16 (ANI): An art auction by British contemporary Damien Hirst has set a new record for a sale dedicated to one artist, after it fetched more than 70 million pounds.
The sale of 54 lots raised more than 65 million pounds smashing the previous record set in 1993 for 88 works by Picasso.
The auction house’’s top estimate for the evening had been 62.3 million pounds, reports Telegraph.
One of the first items which went under the hammer at the auction house in London sold for almost double its estimate.
The Kingdom a tiger shark in formaldehyde fetched 9.5 million pounds. Sotheby’’s had estimated the work at 4-6 million pounds.
The most expensive item was The Golden Calf a calf with a gold disc on its head and godlen hooves at 10.3 million pounds.
Hirst is selling 223 new works directly, saving millions by cutting out the dealers” commission.
Hirst, 43, who is criticised by some for using an army of assistants to help him create his work, has called the auction a “mini retrospective” and “probably the most amazing show I”ve put on”. (ANI)
- Damien Hirst thirst rakes in £70m at Sotheby's auction - Sep 16, 2008
- 300-year-old Chinese vase sells for $32 mn - Oct 10, 2010
- Andy Warhol self-portrait goes on display for the first time in 30 yrs - Feb 12, 2011
- Cabbie gets Hirst doodle as tip, now worth 5,000 pounds - Apr 12, 2010
- Picasso sets new art auction record: $106.5 mn - May 05, 2010
- Munch's 'The Scream' sold for record $119 million at U.S. art auction - May 03, 2012
- Damien Hirst's butterfly art set to captivate India - Aug 26, 2008
- Sotheby's sells eight Picassos for more than $50 mn - May 05, 2011
- Is India an outlet for Sotheby's unsold art? (Comment) - Aug 31, 2008
- Tipu's sword fetches 500,000 pounds in auction - Apr 15, 2010
- Historic Nepali mandala art sets world record at Sotheby's - Jun 02, 2011
- Damien Hirst logs on to India with affordable prints (With Image) - Jan 28, 2012
- Yellow 'Sun-Drop' diamond auctioned for $12.36 million - Nov 16, 2011
- Picasso masterpiece auctioned in Britain - Jun 24, 2010
- World's most expensive book to go under the hammer - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: 5 million, 5m, 6 million, army, art auction, auction house, damien hirst, formaldehyde, gold disc, golden calf, hammer, hooves, london, picasso, rakes, retrospective, telegraph, tiger, tiger shark, uk art