Damien Hirsts earliest painting up for saleApril 6th, 2008 - 4:59 pm ICT by admin
London , April 6 (ANI): British artist Damien Hirsts acrylic painting of a dying crow, one of his earliest works known, is up for sale.
He produced it when he was 18.
A Yorkshire woman, who was a schoolfriend of Hirst, was given the painting as a present 25 years ago.
And she is now putting the work, which could now be worth a small fortune, possibly into six figures, for sale.
The woman used to hang the untitled picture, which measures 2ft by 18in, on her living room wall but for the past 10 years it has been stored in a bank vault due to its presumed worth.
The canvas bears Hirsts signature and it was painted on the kitchen table of a house in Leeds where his long-time professional partner Hugh Allan lived a quarter of a century ago.
At the time, Allan was a roommate of the woman who now owns the painting.
Hirst lived around the corner with his mother. The four used to hang out together doing art and going to gigs.
Damien did the painting at the house I was living at in Leeds , just around the corner where he was living with his mum. He did it on the kitchen table, and simply said here you are, have it as a pressie, Times Online quoted the woman, as saying.
We then went off to a local jumble shop to get a frame. It was like quite a few of the other paintings he had done at school full of blood, gore and horror.
I could never bring myself to throw it away even though for years Damien himself was never famous. In fact I thought that of the two that Marcus was going to be more famous, but I may be a bit biased as I went out with Marcus for five years.
Damien certainly always had this get-up-and-go, and was always even as a teenager very good at selling himself. It obviously stayed with him, she added. (ANI)
- Bring a slice of Rodin's legacy home - for Rs.6 lakh - Feb 02, 2011
- Beckhams get designer painting for Harper - Aug 03, 2012
- Damien Hirst: 'I Was Inspired by Blue Peter' - Aug 30, 2012
- Clumsy visitors posing threat to British art - Oct 30, 2011
- Canadian-based artist 'paints' portraits of Gandhi, Lennon with bullet holes! - Dec 11, 2010
- Andy Warhol self-portrait goes on display for the first time in 30 yrs - Feb 12, 2011
- Damien Hirst rescued me: Ronnie Wood - Sep 08, 2011
- Where Indian art meets global creativity (With Image) - Jan 26, 2012
- 'Insensitive' Damien Hirst slammed for using baby's skull in new artwork - Jan 10, 2011
- Damien Hirst logs on to India with affordable prints (With Image) - Jan 28, 2012
- Victoria to put art collection on public display - May 16, 2010
- Student hangs his own painting in museum - Jan 05, 2012
- Management aspirant hangs self - Feb 16, 2011
- Shekhar Kapur wants Damien Hirst for his next - Jan 15, 2012
- 19th century painting sells for record $5.2 mn - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: 10 years, acrylic painting, bank vault, blood gore, british artist, canvas, earliest works, full of blood, jumble, kitchen table, leeds, living room, paintings, professional partner, roommate, schoolfriend, six figures, small fortune, yorkshire, yorkshire woman