Dalit woman takes to gun to fight injustice in AllahabadNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:27 am ICT by admin
Belonging to the Dalit community, Vidyawati’s two sons were allegedly poisoned and another was brutally killed. His body was found on the rail tracks. It happened after she claimed her stake on her father-owned land following his demise.
It anguished Vidyawati when some villagers’ pressurised her to leave the village even when she was trying to handle life with a physically-handicapped husband and the two surviving children. The authorities look to have bowed down to mighty goons.
“If our enemies can do it, so can I. Three of my children are dead and only two left alive. Moreover, my husband is handicapped. If I do not stand up for them, it would be impossible to survive and protect ourselves,” said Vidyawati, in her early fifties.
Unable to face the shocking attitude of fellow villagers, Vidyawati has taken to guns.
Many villagers, however, support Vidyawati’s decision to take up arms after being witness to her sufferings.
“If she and her family had been provided security and justice, she would not have taken up arms. It is also true that her three sons were killed– two of them were administered poison and another was killed and his corpse thrown on the railway tracks. She is a victim of grave injustice,” said Shiv Kumar, a local resident.
Vidyawati blames a family that actually belongs to the backward class Patel community for her trouble. The alleged family of Manik and his wife, who happened to be the then village head, has denied of having any involvement in the matter affecting Vidyawati’s life.
“Nearly 10 years ago, when my mother was the village head, she (Vidyawati) developed animosity. I did not favour her during that time and gave my statement in favour of the village head. Since then, Vidyawati has been making wrongful allegations and foisting cases,” said Sarvjeet, son of Manik.
According to the police, the case lacks any strong evidence.
“During the entire investigation, no such report about someone exploiting them due to enmity or her sons having consumed poison has surfaced. Whenever an incident is reported, necessary action has been taken,” said Purend Singh, Circle Officer, Soraav Division. (ANI)
- SDM arrested for plotting to kill neighbours - Jul 01, 2010
- Woman molested for spurning Trinamool, tries suicide - Apr 18, 2012
- Woman kills five children, commits suicide - Oct 07, 2011
- Maoist rebel surrenders in Chhattisgarh - Aug 21, 2012
- Missing engineer's mother asks PM to help trace son - Jun 18, 2012
- House panel should probe all land deals, demands YSR Congress - Feb 11, 2012
- Surjeet met by children, to meet wife later - Jun 28, 2012
- Woman kills minor son before committing suicide - Jan 21, 2011
- Fresh allegations against Bhushans, Sonia distances from smear campaign(Intro Roundup) - Apr 20, 2011
- Mother for mercy killing of two kids - Sep 05, 2012
- Banda rape case: Enquiry ordered into jail warden's claims - Jan 17, 2011
- Libyan gang rape victim reveals details of torture by pro-Gaddafi men - Apr 13, 2011
- Abu Jindal's mother says he is innocent - Jun 28, 2012
- In Singur, farmers line up for land - finally - Jul 08, 2011
- Greater Noida authority, farmers told to settle land row (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: allahabad, bowed down, caste, dalit, favourmosity, fellow villagers, fight injustice, goons, grave injustice, land grabbers, manik, physically handicapped, piece of land, shiv kumar, village head