Dalai Lama to visit KashmirJune 3rd, 2010 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, June 3 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama will visit the mountainous district of Kishtwar in Jammu and Kashmir this week to attend religious functions and teach, an aide said Thursday.
“The Dalai Lama is reaching Gulabgarh for a day June 5 where he will bless his followers and attend religious functions the next day,” Tenzin Taklha, joint secretary at the Dalai Lama’s office, told IANS.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah is also scheduled to attend.
Gulabgarh is a small Buddhist-dominated town in Paddar sub-district, famous for its sapphire mines. It borders the picturesque Zanskar Valley in Kargil district.
“This would the first visit of the Dalai Lama to Kishtwar,” Taklha said. The Nobel laureate visited Leh last year.
Jagnat Narboo, president of the Himalayan Buddhist Society, which is organising the visit, said: “The Dalai Lama will attend Kachous (a religious function) at the centuries old Lossany monastery.”
He said more than 25,000 Buddhists from Himachal Pradesh and the Ladakh region of Kashmir would converge on the occasion.
The Dalai Lama has lived in India since 1959 heading a government-in-exile based in Dharamsala. India is also home to some 100,000 Tibetan exiles.
- Dalai Lama to visit Kargil - Jul 19, 2010
- Tibetan PM-in-exile to visit Ladakh - Jun 21, 2011
- Mahatma's grandson to attend Dalai Lama's birthday bash - Jul 04, 2011
- Dalai Lama to visit Kashmir excavation site - Nov 14, 2011
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Dalai Lama visits Kashmir - Jun 05, 2010
- Dalai Lama a symbol of peace: Dhumal - Sep 02, 2011
- Dalai Lama returns to Dharamsala - Jan 16, 2010
- The Dalai Lama: A monk on the move - Aug 23, 2010
- Dalai Lama is Lord Buddha of this era: Dhumal - Dec 09, 2010
- Dharamsala calm as Wen arrives in India (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Reincarnation is my personal right: Dalai Lama - Sep 23, 2011
- Dalai Lama gets Mahatma Gandhi peace prize - Jan 04, 2012
- Dalai Lama prays for Leh, Tibet cloudburst victims - Aug 14, 2010
- At 76, Dalai Lama remains hopeful on Tibet - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: buddhist society, buddhists, dalai lama, dharamsala india, exile, followers, himachal pradesh, himalayan, jammu and kashmir, june 3, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, kishtwar, ladakh region, monastery, nobel laureate, religious function, religious functions, tibetan exiles, tibetan spiritual leader