Dalai Lama inaugurates polio vaccination driveJanuary 10th, 2010 - 3:26 pm ICT by ANI
Bodh Gaya, Jan 10(ANI): Tibetan spiritual leader and Nobel laureate the Dalai Lama kicked off polio eradication drive here on Sunday.
The leader launched the programme by administering anti-polio drops to infants.
Addressing the gathering on this occasion Dalai Lama said: “We can notice here some young people with polio problem. They cannot move. So this preventive measure is very important for protection of their (infants) good life and normal life.”
Polio, which is incurable, leads to irreversible paralysis. Death occurs in about 5-10 percent of paralyzed patients when their breathing muscles are immobilized.
India’s efforts to become polio-free nation met with a setback in recent years.
Over 100,000 vaccinators will immunize more than 20 million children against polio in Bihar state - one of two states in India where polio remains endemic.
India is one of just six countries globally where the disease is still endemic.
In Bihar nearly 60 of every 1,000 children do not live to celebrate their first birthday, mainly because nearly nine out of 10 children in the state are not immunized against vaccine-preventable diseases.
UNICEF is also working with the government in making systemic changes to ensure that routine immunization becomes exactly that - routine. (ANI)
- Indian Olympic athletes appeal to root out polio - Aug 02, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- Indian firm joins Nigeria's polio battle (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- Community mobilisers inch closer towards making India polio-free - Jan 31, 2011
- Pakistani daily lauds India for no polio cases in 2011 - Jan 14, 2012
- How battle against polio was won in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 24, 2011
- Japan gives Pakistan $65 mn for polio eradication - Aug 16, 2011
- Polio funds get a boost in India: Rotary International - Feb 10, 2012
- IGNOU, Unicef sensitise scribes on infant deaths - Aug 04, 2011
- Polio under control but India aims at eradication: Azad - Oct 23, 2011
- Japan gives 120 mn yen grant to fight polio - Mar 26, 2012
- Muslim clerics join hands for polio eradication in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 28, 2011
- Dalai Lama prays at Bodh Gaya ahead of Kalachakra puja - Dec 31, 2011
- In Uttar Pradesh bylanes, children help fight polio - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: breathing muscles, dalai lama, endemic, first birthday, free nation, gaya, immobilized, nobel laureate, paralysis, polio, polio eradication, polio vaccination, preventive measure, routine immunization, setback, states in india, systemic changes, tibetan spiritual leader, two states, vaccine preventable diseases