Dalai Lama honours Irishman for spirit of forgivenessMay 5th, 2010 - 9:43 pm ICT by ANI
Dharamsala, May 5 (ANI): Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama on Wednesday honoured Richard Moore, an Irishman for his “spirit of forgiveness and compassion”.
Forty eight-year-old Moore, at the age of 10, was blinded by a rubber bullet fired by a British soldier. He later forgave the soldier and the two turned friends.
Dalai Lama termed Moore his hero and thanked him for his visit to Dharamsala.
“I expressed my wish that one day you will visit my place here. Now that request, that wish which is enhanced…very, very happy, thank you…Yes, see in spite of some difficulties and inconvenience, you, out of your own feeling and out of deep feelings of friendship, you came out here, thank you very much,” he said.
The Tibetan spiritual leader said that future generations would draw inspiration from Moore’s spirit of forgiveness and compassion.
“It is my hope that the spirit of forgiveness and compassion you have revealed can be passed on from generation to generation,” Dalai Lama said.
Moore was accompanied to Dharamsala by Charles, the British soldier who had shot him in 1972 in Ireland.
He keeps himself busy in humanitarian services to help children around the world who, like him, and have been caught in the crossfire of violence, poverty and hunger.
Hundreds of Tibetan children and adults had gathered at the Tibetan children village in Dharamsala for this function. (ANI)
- Dalai Lama to meet his sightless hero in Ireland - Apr 11, 2011
- Tibetan students get lessons on compassion, forgiveness (With Image) - May 05, 2010
- Curiosity brought me closer to Tibetans, says Gere - Oct 26, 2011
- Dalai Lama asks Irish to work hard to strengthen economy - Apr 13, 2011
- Dalai Lama undergoes medical check-up in Dharamsala - Nov 27, 2010
- Chinese training Tibetan women to poison Dalai Lama? (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Dalai Lama gets Mahatma Gandhi peace prize - Jan 04, 2012
- Tibetan PM-in-exile urges Dalai Lama to reconsider his decision - Mar 10, 2011
- Compassion key to happiness: Dalai Lama - Dec 03, 2011
- Dalai Lama to meet Tutu - from a distance - Oct 07, 2011
- Tibetan group supports Dalai Lama's decision to retire - Mar 19, 2011
- Dalai Lama speaks of Chinese plot to kill him - May 13, 2012
- South Africa found it inconvenient to grant visa: Dalai Lama (Lead) - Oct 07, 2011
- Dalai Lama is not a separatist, Archbishop Tutu tells China - Feb 10, 2012
- Resolve differences through dialogue: Dalai Lama - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: british soldier, children around the world, compassion, crossfire, dalai lama, deep feelings, forgiveness, future generations, generation to generation, honours, humanitarian services, hunger, inconvenience, inspiration, irishman, poverty, rubber bullet, spite, tibetan children village, tibetan spiritual leader