D Napolean assumes charge as Minister of State for Social Justice and EmpowermentJune 1st, 2009 - 7:41 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 1 (ANI): D Napolean, the Minister State for Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry, took charge of the office in the presence of Cabinet Ministers Azhagiri and Dayanidhi Maran here on Monday.
While interacting with the media, Napolean said, “I will try to ensure Constitutional status for the National Backward Classes Commission thereby, strengthening the Commission’s status and functions. In this regard, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister had already written a detailed letter to Prime Minister in August 2008 itself.”
Napolean also stressed to take affirmative action for faster socio-economic and educational development of OBCs and SCs, strengthening rehabilitation centres for the drug addict besides, special care for senior citizens across the country.
He said that in consultation with the Cabinet Minister, Mukul Wasnik, he would work out a special package to strengthen the District Disability Rehabilitation Centres (DDRCs ) and would also streamline the work of the Ministry.
He further added that special camps for the distribution of aids and appliances to the handicapped people under ADIP scheme (Assistance to Disabled persons for purchase/fittings of aids/appliances Scheme) would be conducted across the country. To recognize meritorious service to the welfare of the disabled, drug addicts and senior citizens, he promised to suitably award distinguished persons and organizations.
Napolean emphasized the importance of International Day for the Older Persons (October 1 to be celebrated with more zest. (ANI)
- 'Welfare funds not fully used in northeast' - May 30, 2012
- Parliamentary panel laments government's laid back attitude on the disabled - Oct 21, 2008
- 3.4 lakh drug users de-addicted in three years: Minister - Mar 15, 2010
- Delhi government to allot plots to physically challenged - Jun 19, 2012
- Eliminate beggary in humane manner, states told - Nov 11, 2010
- Need to sensitize society on autism - Apr 03, 2012
- Government to amend law on atrocities against SCs, STs - May 17, 2012
- Mukul Wasnik opens sports meet of students with disabilities at Delhi University - Feb 05, 2011
- New law on anvil for welfare of disabled - Aug 26, 2010
- PM to inaugurate conference on Dalits - Jun 16, 2011
- New law on disability soon, says Mukul Wasnik - Jan 14, 2011
- Wasnik releases Microsoft's disabled-friendly software tools - Dec 03, 2011
- Wasnik expresses concern over low conviction rate for cases of atrocities against SC/STs - Mar 26, 2011
- 'Social assistance payments to be linked to unique ID number' - Feb 29, 2012
- Mukul Wasnik to inaugurate 'Sambhav' tomorrow - Apr 21, 2010
Tags: affirmative action, cabinet minister, cabinet ministers, chief minister, constitutional status, dayanidhi maran, disability rehabilitation, disabled persons, drug addict, drug addicts, educational development, empowerment, meritorious service, minister of state, mukul, napolean, rehabilitation centres, senior citizens, social justice, zest