Cyclonic storm ‘Jal’ moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil NaduNovember 6th, 2010 - 1:16 pm ICT by ANI
Vishakhapatnam, Nov 6 (ANI): An alert has been sounded in various parts of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu as the cyclonic storm ‘Jal’ over southeast Bay and its adjoining southwest area moved slightly northwestwards over the same area on Saturday.
Intensified into a severe cyclonic storm, it was centered about 1485kms south-southwest of Chittagong port, 1405kms south-southwest of Cox’s Bazar port and 1410kms south of Mongla port at 6:00am.
It is likely to intensify further and move in a west-northwesterly direction, said a Met Office special bulletin
The storm is expected to bring rain and thundershowers at most places in north coastal Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, and south coastal Andhra Pradesh.
“The deep depression over Bay of Bengal has further intensified into a cyclonic storm and lay centered today. It is likely to intensify further and move in north-western direction,” said Prasada Rao, Director of the Cyclone Warning Centre in Visakhapatnam.
This storm would cause extensive damage to thatched roof houses and small huts. And can lead to minor interruptions in communication and power lines.
The Indian Meteorological Department has advised the fishermen not to venture into the sea due to its rough state.
Heavy rainfall has battered many districts of the state since Monday, as the northeast monsoon gains momentum over India’s southern coast.
The monsoon this year has been particularly heavy across India, causing floods in many areas leading to devastation of property worth hundreds of millions of rupees. (ANI)
- Two Orissa ports on alert over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 06, 2010
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 07, 2010
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Relief for coastal Andhra as cyclone threat dissipates - Nov 08, 2010
- Rain-battered coastal Andhra braces for cyclone - Nov 04, 2010
- Alert in Andhra as cyclone threatens coast - Nov 06, 2010
- Cyclone weakens, heavy rains likely in Orissa - Nov 08, 2010
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Andhra to forcibly evacuate people from coastal areas (Lead) - May 19, 2010
- Andhra Pradesh faces threat of cyclone Laila - May 19, 2010
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Stranded tourists rescued from Andaman island - Dec 28, 2011
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: bay of bengal, chittagong port, cyclone, indian meteorological department, jal, minor interruptions, northeast monsoon, northwesterly direction, puducherry, rupees, severe cyclonic storm, south southwest, southeast bay, southwest area, tamil nadu, thatched roof, thundershowers, warning centre, western direction, worth hundreds