Cyclonic storm ‘Aila’ likely to hit West BengalMay 25th, 2009 - 4:23 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 25 (ANI): The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has warned that the cyclonic storm “AILA” is likely to intensify further and move in a near northerly direction and cross West Bengal coast near longitude 88.00 E (near Sagar Island) on Monday evening,
Gale wind of 100 kmph is likely along West Bengal and north Orissa coasts during next 18 hours.
Sea condition will be very high along and off West Bengal and north Orissa coasts during the same period.
Storm surge of about 2-3 meters above astronomical tide is likely to inundate the coastal areas of south 24-Pargana and Midnapur districts of West Bengal at the time of landfall.
Extensive damage to thatched roofs and huts, minor damage to power and communication lines due to uprooting of trees and flooding of escape routs over coastal districts of West Bengal and north Orissa are expected.
The IMD has advised total suspension of fishing operations and suggested moving the coastal hutment dwellers to safer places.
People in affected areas have been advised to remain indoors.
The system over northwest and adjoining central Bay of Bengal intensified further, moved northwards and lay centred at 8:30 (IST) of today over northwest Bay of Bengal near lat. 20.50 N and long. 88.00 E, about 140 km east-southeast of Chandbali, 130 km south of Sagar Island and 280 km southwest of Khepupara (Bangladesh). (ANI)
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Orissa sounds cyclone alert - May 25, 2009
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Andhra escapes rain fury as depression moves to Orissa - Oct 08, 2010
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 07, 2010
- Andhra on high alert as cyclonic storm intensifies - May 18, 2010
- Cyclone Thane to cross Tamil Nadu coast Friday morning - Dec 29, 2011
- Rain-battered coastal Andhra braces for cyclone - Nov 04, 2010
- Cyclone Laila to hit Andhra coast Thursday morning - May 19, 2010
- Storm warning signal hoisted at Orissa ports - May 17, 2010
- Andhra to forcibly evacuate people from coastal areas (Lead) - May 19, 2010
- Storm may hit Orissa ports alerted - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: aila, astronomical tide, bay of bengal, coastal districts, communication lines, east southeast, hutment, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, kmph, landfall, northerly direction, northwest bay, orissa, routs, sagar island, sea condition, storm surge, thatched roofs, west bengal