Cyclone warning for coastal Andhra PradeshNovember 15th, 2008 - 11:13 pm ICT by ANI
Vishakapatnam, Nov 15 (ANI): The cyclonic storm, Khai Muk over west central Bay of Bengal moved westwards and lay centered at 0830 a.m. today near latitude 14.50 N and longitude 82.50 E, about 230 km southeast of Machilipatnam and about 270 km northeast of Chennai.
The system is likely to move in a northwesterly direction and cross Andhra Pradesh coast between Bapatla and Kakinada, near Machilipatnam by today.
Under its influence, rainfall at most places with heavy to very heavy falls are likely to take place over coastal Andhra Pradesh during next 24 hours.
Gale winds speed reaching 65-75 kmph gusting upto 85 kmph are likely along and off Andhra Pradesh coast between Ongole and Visakhapatnam during next 24 hours causing damage to thatched huts, uprooting of trees, breaking of tree branches causing minor damage to power and communication lines. Squally wind speed reaching 45-55 kmph gusting upto 65 kmph also likely along and off remaining parts of Andhra Pradesh coast.
Sea condition will be very rough to high along and off Andhra Pradesh coasts.
Storm surge 1-2 meter above the astronomical tide is likely at the time of landfall over coastal areas of Prakasham, Guntur, Krishna, west and east Godavari districts and Yanam.
Fishermen have been advised not to venture into the sea off Andhra Pradesh coast. (ANI)
- Cyclone Thane to cross Tamil Nadu coast Friday morning - Dec 29, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Cyclone Laila stationary, toll up at 27 in coastal Andhra - May 21, 2010
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Andhra Pradesh faces threat of cyclone Laila - May 19, 2010
- Heavy rains batter coastal Andhra as cyclone inches closer (Lead) - May 20, 2010
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Tamil Nadu gears up for cyclone Thane (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Laila weakening as it inches closer to Andhra coast - May 20, 2010
- Rains claim 16 lives, damage crops in Andhra - Dec 08, 2010
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Alert in Andhra as cyclone threatens coast - Nov 06, 2010
- Andhra on alert as cyclone threatens coast - Nov 15, 2008
- Cyclone Laila to hit Andhra coast Thursday morning - May 19, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh, astronomical tide, bay of bengal, communication lines, cyclonic storm, east godavari, gale winds, guntur, influence rainfall, landfall, machilipatnam, muk, northwesterly direction, ongole, sea condition, storm surge, thatched huts, visakhapatnam, vishakapatnam, westwards