CWG scam: Delhi court dismisses bail plea of Darbari, JayachandranDecember 10th, 2010 - 8:51 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 10 (ANI): A Delhi court on Friday dismissed the bail applications of former Commonwealth Games (CWG) Organising Committee (OC) officials T S Darbari and M Jayachandran noting that corruption in awarding contracts in the 2010 Games has ‘tarnished’ the image of the country.
Declining the bail plea of the duo, Special Judge A S Yadav said that the irregularities in conducting the 2010 Games that was highlighted in the media were being observed by the people all over the world.
“Every day and night, the matter was being reported in newspapers all over the world about corruption in awarding various contracts during the CWG. It has definitely tarnished the image of the country,” the court said.
The court further noted that the contract for hiring taxis during the Queen’s Baton Relay function in London was awarded on forged documents, leading to a loss to the exchequer.
“The part of the CWG function took place at London regarding handing over of Queen’s Baton and the very contract of hiring of the vehicles was awarded on forged and fabricated documents at higher rates thereby causing losses to the Government of India,” the court said.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had on November 15 and 21 arrested Darbari and Jayachandran over the financial irregularities case pertaining to the 2010 Games.
Dismissing their bail applications, the court noted that the accused duo even forged emails for justifying their decision to award contract to the London-based firm.
The accused are facing charges of causing losses to the exchequer in award of contract to the tune of over Rs 1.55 crore with regard to Queen’s Baton Relay function in London on October 29, 2010, before the sporting extravaganza.
The accused, however, claimed that the decision to award contract to A M Cars and Vans Hire Ltd was not taken by them, but a high-powered committee.
The court was not convinced and further referred to various documents seized by the CBI to say: “It is evident from the note that accused Darbari discussed the matter with Jayachandran as well. The advance payment was released by Jayachandran.”
The case against them has been registered under different Sections of IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act.
Meanwhile, the court extended the judicial custody of Darbari, Jayachandran and another accused Sanjay Mahendroo to December 24.
Mahendroo, who was also taken into custody, along with Darbari on November 15 has not filed a bail application so far. (ANI)
- CWG scam: Bail for Darbari, hearing on Jayachandran's plea Monday (Night Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Jayachandran gets bail in CWG scam case - Jan 19, 2011
- After Darbari, another Kalmadi aide gets bail in CWG scam case (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- CWG scam: Former officials remanded to three-days CBI custody - Nov 22, 2010
- Another Kalmadi aide granted bail - Jan 15, 2011
- CWG scam: Delhi court grants bail to Mahendroo - Jan 15, 2011
- CWG graft cases: CBI files charges against six - Aug 22, 2012
- CWG graft: Court takes cognizance of CBI charge sheet - Aug 27, 2012
- Darbari gets bail in CWG scam - Jan 14, 2011
- CBI apprehends Kalmadi aide in Pune (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- CWG scam: Darbari, Mahendroo sent to six-days CBI custody - Nov 16, 2010
- CWG scam: Darbari, Mahendroo to be produced in Court today - Nov 22, 2010
- CWG scam: CBI arrests Darbari, Mahendroo - Nov 15, 2010
- CWG scam: Hearing on Jayachandran's bail plea Wednesday - Jan 17, 2011
- Kalmadi aide's CBI custody extended (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: bail plea, cbi, central bureau of investigation, commonwealth games, corruption, court noted that, crore, cwg, delhi court, financial irregularities, government of india, jayachandran, m cars, New Delhi, november 15, rs 1, special judge, taxis, vans, yadav