CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to Tihar Jail till Mar. 15March 1st, 2011 - 7:27 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 1 (ANI): A Delhi court on Tuesday sent former Commonwealth Games (CWG) Organising Committee (OC) Chairman Suresh Kalmadi’s key aides Lalit Bhanot and V.K. Verma to Tihar Jail under 14-day judicial custody in connection with financial irregularities in a contract with a Swiss company.
The court took the decision following a plea by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) that the investigation into the case was still going on.
“Accused are sent to judicial custody till March 15,” said Special Judge Talwant Singh.
The court also permitted the two accused to carry spectacles and medicines, which has been prescribed to them.
The CBI arrested Bhanot and Verma on February 23 in connection with alleged irregularities related to the event.
The arrest of the two took place after both were questioned about the Rs 107 crore contract that was awarded to a Swiss time-keeping company.
Bhanot, the former Organizing Committee Secretary General was booked under Sections 120B (criminal conspiracy) and 420 (cheating) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and under various sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act, along with the Switzerland-based firm Swiss Timing Ltd and other unknown persons.
The CBI is also probing alleged irregularities in the hiring of Swiss firm Event Knowledge Services (EKS) as CWG’s technical consultant.The document is expected to help the CBI establish the alleged role of Kalmadi and Bhanot in connection with scams surrounding the 2010 sporting extravaganza.
The original tender document, which comprised several files, was missing for over three months, since the CBI began its investigation. It has now been recovered. (ANI)
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to judicial custody till Mar. 29 - Mar 15, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to five-days CBI custody - Feb 24, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma to be produced in court - Feb 24, 2011
- CBI arrests Bhanot, Verma in CWG scam - Feb 23, 2011
- CWG scam: Congress distances itself from Kalmadi - Feb 23, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to 14 days' judicial custody - Mar 01, 2011
- CWG scam: Defiant Kalmadi says ready to face any probe - Mar 05, 2011
- CWG scam: Only OC officials being targeted, says Kalmadi - Feb 24, 2011
- CWG case: Bhanot, Verma's judicial custody extended - May 05, 2011
- CWG scam: CBI questions Kalmadi for second time - Mar 15, 2011
- Award of contract to Swiss Timing transparent, says Bhanot - Aug 03, 2012
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to CBI custody for five days - Feb 24, 2011
- Bhanot, Verma remanded to five-day CBI custody - Feb 24, 2011
- CWG scam: Lalit Bhanot's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- CWG scam: Court grants bail to firm's official (Second lead) - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: cbi, central bureau of investigation, committee secretary, commonwealth games, criminal conspiracy, crore contract, delhi court, financial irregularities, indian penal code, judicial custody, knowledge services, organising committee, prevention of corruption act, special judge, suresh kalmadi, swiss company, swiss firm, swiss time, swiss timing ltd, tender document