CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to five-days CBI custodyFebruary 24th, 2011 - 7:47 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 24 (ANI): A Delhi court on Thursday sent former Commonwealth Games (CWG) Organising Committee (OC) Chairman Suresh Kalmadi’s key aides Lalit Bhanot and V.K. Verma to five days Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) custody in connection with financial irregularities in a contract with a Swiss company.
The two former CWG officials were produced in the Patiala House Court today for their alleged role in the CWG scam.
The CBI arrested Bhanot and Verma on Wednesday in connection with alleged irregularities related to the event.
The arrest of the two took place after both were questioned about the Rs 107 crore contract that was awarded to a Swiss time-keeping company.
Bhanot, the former Organizing Committee Secretary General was booked under Sections 120B (criminal conspiracy) and 420 (cheating) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and under various sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act, along with the Switzerland-based firm Swiss Timing Ltd and other unknown persons.
The CBI is also probing alleged irregularities in the hiring of Swiss firm Event Knowledge Services (EKS) as CWG’s technical consultant.The document is expected to help the CBI establish the alleged role of Kalmadi and Bhanot in connection with scams surrounding the 2010 sporting extravaganza.
The original tender document, which comprised several files, was missing for over three months, since the CBI began its investigation. It has now been recovered. (ANI)
- CBI arrests Bhanot, Verma in CWG scam - Feb 23, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma to be produced in court - Feb 24, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to judicial custody till Mar. 29 - Mar 15, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to Tihar Jail till Mar. 15 - Mar 01, 2011
- CWG scam: Defiant Kalmadi says ready to face any probe - Mar 05, 2011
- CWG scam: Congress distances itself from Kalmadi - Feb 23, 2011
- CWG scam: Only OC officials being targeted, says Kalmadi - Feb 24, 2011
- CWG scam: CBI questions Kalmadi for second time - Mar 15, 2011
- All involved in CWG scam must be quizzed: Kalmadi - Mar 15, 2011
- CWG scam: Lalit Bhanot's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- CWG case: Bhanot, Verma's judicial custody extended - May 05, 2011
- Lalit Bhanot's bail plea rejected - Jul 05, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to 14 days' judicial custody - Mar 01, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to CBI custody for five days - Feb 24, 2011
- Court dismisses bail pleas of Bhanot, Verma (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: cbi, central bureau of investigation, committee secretary, commonwealth games, criminal conspiracy, crore contract, delhi court, financial irregularities, indian penal code, knowledge services, organising committee, patiala house court, prevention of corruption act, suresh kalmadi, swiss company, swiss firm, swiss time, swiss timing ltd, technical consultant, tender document