CWC condoles Arjun Singh’s demise, describes him a symbol of secular valuesMarch 5th, 2011 - 1:53 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 5 (ANI): The newly constituted Congress Working Committee, which met here on Saturday to condole the demise of veteran Congress leader Arjun Singh passed a resolution describing the senior party leader as a symbol of secular values in Indian politics.
The CWC meeting, which was chaired by Congress President Sonia Gandhi, in their resolution also said Singh had always fought against communal forces, and added that his efforts to uplift tribals, Dalits and the under privileged will be remembered for a long time.
President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari, Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) veteran L K Advani condoled the death of Arjun Singh.
The last rites of Arjun Singh, who breathed his last in New Delhi on Friday, will be performed at his native village Churhat in Madhya Pradesh’s Sidhi District with full state honours today.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has announced a three-day state mourning in the state.
All government offices and schools in Madhya Pradesh would remain closed today. The board examinations will, however, be held as per schedule.
Singh, who was admitted at New Delhi’s All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), died of a heart attack yesterday. He was 81.
Arjun Singh is survived by his wife Saroj Devi, two sons- Ajay and Abhimanyu and daughter Veena.
Singh was the Union Human Resource Development Minister from 2004 to 2009, and was the Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister when the Bhopal gas tragedy occurred in December 1984.
Arjun Singh also served as the Governor of Punjab once for a short period. As Governor of Punjab, he worked for the Rajiv-Longwal Accord for peace in Punjab. He was awarded the Outstanding Parliamentarian Award for 2000. (ANI)
- Arjun Singh's last rites to be held today - Mar 05, 2011
- Vice President Ansari condoles Congress leader Arjun Singh's demise - Mar 05, 2011
- Arjun Singh's death a great loss to Indian politics: Janardan Dwivedi - Mar 05, 2011
- Ex-PM Devegowda condoles Arjun Singh's demise - Mar 05, 2011
- PM, Sonia visit Arjun Singh home (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- Arjun Singh's last rites performed in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 06, 2011
- President Patil condoles passing away of Congress leader Arjun Singh - Mar 04, 2011
- PM, Sonia pay tribute to Arjun Singh - Mar 05, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee condoles demise of Arjun Singh - Mar 04, 2011
- Beni Prasad Verma condoles passing away of Arjun Singh - Mar 04, 2011
- Congress leader Arjun Singh passes away - Mar 04, 2011
- Congress mourns Arjun Singh's death - Mar 04, 2011
- Ajay Singh is Congress leader in Madhya Pradesh assembly - Apr 13, 2011
- Arjun's death irreparable loss to national polity: Congress - Mar 05, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh's three-day mourning for Arjun Singh - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: abhimanyu, all india institute of medical sciences, arjun singh, bharatiya janata party, bhopal gas tragedy, board examinations, communal forces, congress leader, congress president sonia gandhi, congress working committee, human resource development, l k advani, manmohan singh, mohammad hamid ansari, president mohammad, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, secular values, sidhi, state honours