CVC appointment was an error of judgement: Manmohan SinghMarch 7th, 2011 - 2:23 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 7 (ANI): The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh today accepted error of judgement in appointing PJ Thomas as the Chief Vigilance Commissioner (CVC).
Speaking in the Parliament on the row, Dr. Singh said that the government would keep in mind the guidelines suggested by the Supreme Court while appointing a new CVC.
The original statement by the Prime Minister did not mention about his responsibility on the issue.
As soon as he finished speaking, leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj objected to this omission and reminded him of his statement made in Jammu where he accepted responsibility for the appointment of Thomas as CVC.
Responding to this, Dr. Singh admitted that appointment of Thomas was an error of judgement and he accepted complete responsibility for it.
Thomas, who is facing a corruption case in a Kerala court, handed over his resignation to the government on Thursday after the Supreme Court struck down his appointment as the CVC.
A three-judge bench headed by the Chief Justice of India S.H. Kapadia delivered its verdict on a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) that sought removal of Thomas from the position of CVC.
The apex court, which had on February 10 reserved its on petitions challenging the appointment of Thomas, said that the appointment was illegal and that he must go.
The Centre for Public Interest Litigation, an NGO and others had earlier challenged Thomas’s appointment as the CVC, quoting the Palmolein import corruption case in which Thomas is an accused. (ANI)
- Prime Minister takes responsibility for Thomas' appointment as CVC - Mar 04, 2011
- Sushma Swaraj satisfied with PM owning responsibility over CVC fiasco - Mar 04, 2011
- CVC Thomas resigns after Supreme Court tells him to go - Mar 03, 2011
- CPI-M to react over CVC fiasco after PM's statement in Parliament: Yechury - Mar 05, 2011
- BJP claims victory on PJ Thomas verdict, says Government 'stands exposed' - Mar 03, 2011
- Didn't know about chargesheet against Thomas, says former CVC - Mar 04, 2011
- No difference in BJP on PM's CVC statement: Sushma Swaraj - Mar 05, 2011
- New CVC will be appointed soon: Manmohan Singh - Mar 08, 2011
- CVC fiasco: Prithviraj Chavan is lying, says Kerala CM Achuthanandan - Mar 10, 2011
- Thomas ceases to be CVC, new CVC in due time: Moily - Mar 04, 2011
- SC verdict on Thomas 'vindicates great national aspiration': Jaitley - Mar 03, 2011
- Supreme Court questions Govt. on CVC appointment - Feb 03, 2011
- CVC fiasco: PM's statement in Parliament incorrect, says Yechury - Mar 11, 2011
- President cancels Thomas's appointment as CVC - Mar 15, 2011
- Sacked CVC Thomas to file review petition before Supreme Court - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,