Curfew reimposed in tense SrinagarAugust 31st, 2010 - 5:01 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Aug 31 (ANI): Curfew has been reimposed in the Kashmir Valley after the killing of teenager Irshad Ahmad Parray of Anantnag in police firing on Monday evening.
Parray, 11, was killed when a huge mob of stone pelters attacked the Sherbagh police post in Anantnag after which security forces fired rubber bullets at the protesters.
With Parray’s death, the number of people who have lost their lives in the ongoing unrest which started here June 11, has risen to 65.
Following the incident, a policeman has been suspended and a case registered against him for unprovoked firing at the youth.
Shops, educational institutions, banks and private offices were closed and all modes of transport were off the roads.
The Kashmir Valley has experienced a surge of violence that has led authorities to impose frequent curfew restrictions in several parts of the state.
Curfew was initially imposed on June 30 in parts of northern and southern Kashmir to stop demonstrations over a couple of protesters who died in police firing.
It was lifted some days later, but was again imposed as fresh violence erupted. (ANI)
- Curfew continues in Anantnag - Sep 02, 2010
- Tension in Kashmir mounts after boy's killing - Aug 31, 2010
- Three protesters killed in Kashmir, toll 68 (Third Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Boy killed in south Kashmir firing, toll rises to 65 - Aug 30, 2010
- Two including 16-year-old killed in Kashmir firing (Second Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Teenager killed, four injured in Kashmir firing (Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Another day of clashes and curfew in Kashmir - Aug 18, 2010
- Bloody Monday leaves 16 dead across Kashmir (Fourth Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Two critically injured in continuing Kashmir violence - Sep 12, 2010
- Curfew, clashes and shutdown hit Kashmir Valley again (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Curfew imposed to foil separatist march in Kashmir - Oct 22, 2010
- 101 deaths in 101 days of unrest in Kashmir Valley - Sep 19, 2010
- Three die in Kashmir violence, toll now 73 (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Kashmir hit by restrictions, shutdown again - Aug 21, 2010
- Two more dead, Kashmir Valley under curfew - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: ahmad, anantnag, authorities, banks, demonstrations, educational institutions, kashmir, kashmir valley, mob, modes of transport, police post, policeman, private offices, protesters, rubber bullets, southern kashmir, srinagar, teenager, unrest, violence