Curfew re-imposed in parts of Kashmir ValleyJuly 20th, 2010 - 5:53 pm ICT by ANI
Sopore (J-K), July 20 (ANI): Curfew was clamped in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore town following the tense situation after a youth was killed in alleged firing by security forces in Baramulla.
Prohibitory orders have been imposed in Nowhatta, Khanyar, Maharajgunj, Rainawari, Safakadal, Soura, Lalbazar, Nigeen and Noorbagh in old city and Batmaloo, Maisuma, Kralkhud and Shaheedgunj in uptown areas.
Restrictions on movement of people have also been imposed in Ganderbal and Budgam districts.
Police said the decision to impose curfew and restrictions was taken to maintain law and order after the situation turned tense.
Educational institutions, public transport, banks, post offices, markets and other business establishments have been shut.
Additional companies of police and paramilitary forces have been deployed in Sopore and other areas of the Valley.
Fayaz Ahmad Khandy was killed when police opened fire on a mob of protesters who were heading to deputy commissioners office.
These protesters were demanding action against those police personnel whom they alleged were responsible for drowning of a boy during protests in the town two days ago. (ANI)
- Curfew continues in tense Kashmir Valley - Aug 21, 2010
- Authorities re-impose curfew in Srinagar - Aug 25, 2010
- Curfew clamped in Srinagar, restrictions imposed in three towns - Aug 25, 2010
- Restrictions imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley - Jul 28, 2010
- Curfew lifted in central Srinagar - Jul 14, 2010
- Restrictions imposed in Srinagar following tension - Jun 26, 2012
- Curfew imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley - Aug 30, 2010
- Curfew clamped in parts of Kashmir Valley - Oct 29, 2010
- Injured man dies in Kashmir, toll rises to 110 - Oct 15, 2010
- Srinagar old city restrictions enter third day - Jun 28, 2012
- Separatist shutdown affects life in Srinagar - May 21, 2011
- Curbs continue in Srinagar's old city after shrine fire - Jun 29, 2012
- Bunker removal process starts in Srinagar - Oct 05, 2010
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil separatist march - Jul 13, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Srinagar after Mirwaiz assault - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: ahmad, banks, business establishments, commissioners office, deputy commissioners, educational institutions, fayaz, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, law and order, mob, paramilitary forces, post offices, protesters, protests, public transport, security forces, tense situation, uptown areas