Curfew lifted in trouble-torn areas of PunjabMay 28th, 2009 - 2:55 pm ICT by ANI
Chandigarh, May 28 (ANI): Following improvement in the situation in areas hit by violence, day curfew was lifted in Jalandhar, Phagwara, Hoshiarpur, Malout and Ludhiana in Punjab.
Punjab had witnessed large-scale violence and arson after followers of Sikh religious sect Dera Sachkhand Ballan took to the streets on Sunday night in protest against the attack on their leaders in a Vienna Gurudwara.
After three days of trouble in the region shops and other commercial establishments were reopenend as the day-time curfew was lifted.
Curfew has been relaxed till six pm.
Train and bus services have been restored in the state. However, educational institutions remained closed in the disturbed areas. While para-military forces have been sent back to the barracks, state police continue to patrol sensitive areas in Jalandhar district, which was worst-hit by the violence
Twenty three people have been arrested across the state for indulging in arson. (ANI)
- Curfew relaxed briefly in violence-hit Punjab, Badal calls for all-party meet - May 26, 2009
- Punjab limps back to normalcy, but tension persists (Second Lead) - May 26, 2009
- One killed as Punjab burns over Vienna gurdwara clash (Third Lead) - May 25, 2009
- State funeral for sect leader as thousands attend in Punjab (Lead) - Jun 04, 2009
- Violence leaves Punjab poorer by Rs.7,000 crore: Assocham - May 26, 2009
- Trucks, trains start plying in Punjab again - May 27, 2009
- Fresh violence in Punjab after sect leader dies in Vienna (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Jalandhar witnesses violence over Sikh Gurudwara shooting in Vienna - May 25, 2009
- As Badals pray, Punjab returns to normalcy (Roundup) - May 27, 2009
- Thousands pour in for sect leader's cremation in Punjab - Jun 04, 2009
- Over 50 people detained for Punjab, Haryana violence - Feb 28, 2010
- Punjab tense after night of violence, army called in - May 25, 2009
- Curfew in Jalandhar after Vienna Gurudwara clash (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Police to seek details about Khalistani terrorists' arrest in Germany - Aug 17, 2010
- Curfew partially lifted in Bareilly - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: arson, ballan, bus services, commercial establishments, day time, educational institutions, followers, gurudwara, large scale, ludhiana, military forces, phagwara, protest, punjab chandigarh, religious sect, sensitive areas, state police, train, vienna, violence