Curfew in Srinagar, FIR against MirwaizSeptember 12th, 2010 - 11:18 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Sep 12 (IANS) Authorities imposed an indefinite curfew in Srinagar and other Jammu and Kashmir towns Sunday, a day after the city saw widespread violent protests following Eid prayers. An FIR was registered against moderate separatist leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq for inciting violence, officials said.
A senior police official said imposition of curfew had become necessary in the wake of the massive violence that followed a separatist march in Srinagar Saturday that was led by the Mirwaiz, chairman of the moderate Hurriyat group, and Muhammad Yasin Malik, chairman of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front.
A first information report (FIR) has been lodged against the Mirwaiz for inciting people to violence, the officer said.
Asked whether the Mirwaiz would be arrested, he said: “The law will take it own course.”
Indefinite curfew was also imposed in north Kashmir Baramulla and Sopore towns and south Kashmir Anantnag and Pulwama towns.
Srinagar saw unprecedented violence Saturday after mass Eid prayers as hundreds of youth shouted pro-freedom slogans and attacked police and government buildings.
As the prayers ended at the famed Sufi shrine of Hazratbal Saturday morning, thousands egged on by the Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik marched to the city centre Lal Chowk, indulging in arson attacks.
While the police and paramilitary personnel refrained from firing at the mobs so as not to kill civilians, the crowds went on an arson spree, starting right from the Hazratbal shrine where police barracks within the complex were set on fire.
Later, smaller groups torched the building of the state electricity department and offices of the Crime Branch of the Jammu and Kashmir Police.
- Curfew imposed in Srinagar, FIR against Mirwaiz (Lead) - Sep 12, 2010
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
- Protests erupt in Srinagar after Eid prayers - Sep 11, 2010
- Street protests, violence after Eid prayers in Kashmir (Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- Kashmir burns on Eid, Omar slams separatists (Roundup) - Sep 12, 2010
- New Delhi questions Omar on Eid day violence - Sep 13, 2010
- Thousands offer Eid prayers amid sporadic violence in Kashmir - Nov 17, 2010
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Mob attacks J-K Minister's Anantnag house, one injured - Sep 12, 2010
- BJP opposes any dilution of the authority of security forces in Kashmir - Sep 12, 2010
- I am ready to go to jail: Mirwaiz - Sep 12, 2010
- Kashmiri separatist leaders placed under house arrest - Aug 20, 2012
- Omar blames Hurriyat Conference leadership for violence on Eid - Sep 11, 2010
- All-party team visits Kashmir hospitals, Hazratbal - Sep 21, 2010
- Indefinite curfew imposed in Srinagar, FIR against Mirwaiz - Sep 12, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,