Curfew in Kashmir Valley ahead of Ayodhya verdictSeptember 30th, 2010 - 12:24 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Sep 30 (IANS) Curfew has been imposed in Kashmir Valley to preempt any violence that could follow the verdict in the Ramjanmabhoomi-Babri mosque title suits by Allahabad High Court expected Thursday afternoon.
“Curfew has been imposed in the entire Srinagar city, Ganderbal, Kangan, Bandipora, Sumbal, Sopore, Baramulla, Handwara, Kupwara, Trehgam, Badgam, Anantnag, Qoimoh, Bijbehera, Kulgam and Shopian towns of the valley today to preempt any violence that might follow the Allahabad High Court judgement expected Thursday afternoon,” a senior police officer said here.
For a change, valley wide curfew has been imposed due to a reason that does not relate to the protest programme of local separatist leaders. Kashmir is Muslim dominated.
In the last three months, separatists have been calling shutdowns and protests and authorities imposing curfews/restrictions to thwart separatist violence.
“It is for the first time in the last three months that authorities had to impose curfew because of a reason that does not owe itself to the separatist protest calendar,” said a local journalist here.
Heavy deployment of police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in full gear has been made to imposed curfew in Srinagar city and other towns of the valley.
Hindu and Muslim groups are party to the Ayodhya title suits.
- Kashmir Valley still under curfew - Sep 23, 2010
- Curfew continues in Kashmir Valley - Sep 15, 2010
- Curfew continues in Srinagar; situation remains normal in Valley - Sep 19, 2010
- Injured man dies in Kashmir, toll rises to 110 - Oct 15, 2010
- Curfew lifted from many parts of Kashmir - Sep 28, 2010
- No curfew in Srinagar despite separatist shutdown - Oct 10, 2010
- Air services to Srinagar suspended for three days - Sep 14, 2010
- Curfew lifted from different parts of Kashmir valley - Sep 26, 2010
- Three die in Kashmir violence, toll now 73 (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Curfew, clashes and shutdown hit Kashmir Valley again (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Curfew, shutdown cripple life in Kashmir Valley - Aug 16, 2010
- Kashmir hit by restrictions, shutdown again - Aug 21, 2010
- Curfew in parts of Srinagar - Oct 08, 2010
- Srinagar under curfew after Masarat Alam's arrest - Oct 19, 2010
- Curfew imposed to foil separatist march in Kashmir - Oct 22, 2010
Tags: allahabad high court, babri mosque, court judgement, crpf, deployment, hindu, journalist, kashmir, muslim groups, police force, police officer, protests, reserve police, separatist leaders, separatist violence, shutdowns, srinagar city, sumbal, three months, thursday afternoon