Curfew imposed in Kashmir ahead of Hurriyat protest marchOctober 27th, 2010 - 7:29 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Oct. 27 (ANI): Curfew was re-imposed here on Wednesday, ahead of a protest march called by separatist leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, the Chairman of the moderate faction of the Hurriyat Conference.
Separatists had a given call for a protest march to the office of military observers of the United Nations in Sonwar area of Srinagar.
Police and paramilitary troops were patrolling deserted streets.
Market places were completely shut down, and barbed wire fencing and barricades erected as police vehicles conducted round-the-clock patrolling.
Public transport remained off roads causing problems for commuters.
“Because of the call given by Mirwaiz, this curfew has been imposed in the city. Students are facing a lot of difficulties due to this. I have come here from very far and I could not even get any transport,” said Mudasir Ahmad, a student.
At least 110 people have been killed since June, in clashes between security forces and protestors.
The recent wave of protests in Kashmir subsided after New Delhi relaxed security in Srinagar, freed some 50 protestors, announced compensation for families of the dead and offered to talk to all political groups.
But many Kashmiris dismiss the offer as inadequate and hardliner separatists said they would press on with protests. (ANI)
- Curfew in Srinagar to scuttle separatist march - Oct 27, 2010
- Curfew continues for 13th day in Srinagar - Sep 24, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Srinagar to scuttle separatist march - Oct 18, 2010
- Curfew in Srinagar areas to prevent protests - Oct 26, 2010
- 15 injured as clashes erupt in Kashmir (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Restrictions in Srinagar again, separatists call shutdown - Jul 11, 2010
- Peaceful Diwali expected in valley during two days of 'normalcy' - Nov 04, 2010
- Curfew imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley - Aug 30, 2010
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- No separatist shutdown, but selective curfew in Srinagar - Oct 29, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Srinagar after Mirwaiz assault - Nov 26, 2010
- Five injured in Kashmir firing, interlocutors visit Shopian (Roundup) - Oct 26, 2010
- Another day of clashes and curfew in Kashmir - Aug 18, 2010
- 8 injured as stone pelting protestors defy curfew in Kashmir (update) - Oct 27, 2010
- Kashmir under curfew for fourth consecutive day - Aug 16, 2010
Tags: ahmad, barbed wire fencing, barricades, city students, clashes, commuters, faction, hurriyat conference, kashmir, military observers, paramilitary troops, police vehicles, political groups, protest march, protestors, protests, security forces, separatist leader, srinagar, umar farooq