Curfew imposed in Jammu ahead of Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti protestJuly 24th, 2008 - 12:49 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, July 24 (ANI): Curfew has been imposed in Jammu to neutralize a shutdown call given by the Shri Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti (SASS).
The step has been taken ahead of the funeral of SASS activist Kuldip Kumar Dogra, who died on Wednesday after participating in a chain hunger strike.
Divisional Commissioner of Jammu Sudhanshu Pandey said: “The indefinite curfew was imposed at dawn as a precautionary measure. The body would be cremated late in the morning.”
Another report said that Dogra died after consuming poison.
Samiti activists have been demanding removal of State Governor N.N.Vohra for surrendering the responsibility of running the affairs of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board to the Government and for returning forestland that was meant for the board.
The State Government on July 1 had revoked its order for transferring land to the SASB by taking over the responsibilities of taking care of Amarnath pilgrims. (ANI)
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012
- Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti today calls for Jammu shutdown - Jul 24, 2008
- Over 1 lakh pilgrims visit Amarnath shrine in 5 days - Jun 30, 2012
- Now, a diet chart for Amarnath pilgrims - Jan 07, 2012
- Protesters defy curfew as Jammu simmers with anger (Lead) - Jul 24, 2008
- 74 Amarnath pilgrims die in 19 days - Jul 14, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Jammu after suicide over Amarnath land row - Jul 24, 2008
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- Five detained for locking Kashmir House in Delhi - May 18, 2012
- Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath Yatra - Jun 11, 2012
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Snowfall on Amarnath track hits clearance operation - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: activist, activists, amarnath pilgrims, chain hunger strike, divisional commissioner, dogra, forestland, jammu, july 1, poison, precautionary measure, report said that, sasb, sass, shri, shrine board, state government, state governor, sudhanshu pandey, vohra