Curfew continues in tense Kashmir ValleyAugust 21st, 2010 - 1:29 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Aug 21 (ANI): Authorities here imposed curfew in most parts of the Kashmir Valley on Saturday, following which, all the shops closed down and streets were left deserted.
Curfew was imposed in under the jurisdiction of the police stations of Batmaloo, Bemina, Qamarwari, Kralkhud, Nowhatta, Khanyar, MR Gunj, Safakadal, Rainawari, Maisuma, Shaheedgunj, Abi-Guzar and Kothibagh.
State authorities fear that people would come out of their homes and participate in protests called by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, the chief of the hardline faction of the All Parties Hurriyat Conference.
The curfew was imposed this morning and would be in place till further orders.
As per the latest reports, security forces were seen patrolling the streets in and around Srinagar city.
The Kashmir Valley has experienced a surge of violence that has led authorities to impose frequent curfew restrictions in several parts of the state.
Curfew was initially imposed on June 30 in parts of northern and southern Kashmir to stop demonstrations over a couple of protesters who died in police firing.
It was lifted some days later, but was again imposed as fresh violence erupted. (ANI)
- Authorities re-impose curfew in Srinagar - Aug 25, 2010
- Curfew clamped in Srinagar, restrictions imposed in three towns - Aug 25, 2010
- Curfew imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley - Aug 30, 2010
- Curfew clamped in parts of Kashmir Valley - Oct 29, 2010
- Restrictions imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley - Jul 28, 2010
- Curfew re-imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley - Jul 20, 2010
- Curfew in Srinagar to prevent Muharram procession - Dec 15, 2010
- Curfew imposed in several parts of Kashmir - Aug 29, 2010
- Injured man dies in Kashmir, toll rises to 110 - Oct 15, 2010
- Srinagar old city restrictions enter third day - Jun 28, 2012
- Restrictions imposed in Srinagar following tension - Jun 26, 2012
- Curbs continue in Srinagar's old city after shrine fire - Jun 29, 2012
- Violence continues in Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Restrictions, shutdown cripple Srinagar - Jun 21, 2010
- Bunker removal process starts in Srinagar - Oct 05, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,