Culling of birds continues in West BengalJanuary 5th, 2009 - 2:58 pm ICT by ANI
Siluguri (WB) Jan 5 (ANI): Culling operations are continuing in bird flu affected Pubong village under Takdah block of Darjeeling Sadar sub-division and Matigaraha under Siliguri sub-division.
Talking to reporters, the District Magistrate of Darjeeling, Surendra Gupta, said samples of dead chicken are being sent to Bhopal for tests.
“Culling operation will be completed in the next six days,” he added.
The main epicenter of the flu has been fixed at Binay Krishna Pally off Siliguri in the District of Darjeeling.
The latest outbreak of the virus in poultry is the fourth in West Bengal since 2007.
Bird flu first broke out in India in 2006 and millions of chicken and ducks had been culled to contain the virus.
Although it has resurfaced from time to time, there have been no reports of any human infections in India.
Earlier, hundreds of thousands of birds had been culled in Assam and neighboring Meghalaya after bird flu was detected in November last year.
Experts have warned that the H5N1 virus might mutate or combine with the highly contagious seasonal influenza virus and spark a pandemic that could kill millions of people across the world. (ANI)
- Culling of birds to begin in West Bengal today - Jan 04, 2009
- West Bengal reports fresh outbreak of bird flu - Jan 03, 2009
- Culling operations continue West Bengal - Jan 06, 2009
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Bird flu hits poultry business in West Bengal - Jan 06, 2009
- Fresh outbreak of bird flu in Darjeeling - Jan 07, 2009
- Bird flu resurfaces in Tripura - Jan 25, 2012
- About 27,000 poultry culled in bird flu-hit West Bengal - Jan 06, 2009
- Make poultry farming in northeast more scientific: Aviation flu experts - Apr 22, 2012
- West Bengal to begin culling after reports of bird flu in Siliguri - Feb 26, 2009
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- 17,000 poultry culled in Bangladesh - Apr 14, 2011
- West Bengal reports fresh bird flu outbreak - Mar 16, 2009
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- Bird flu detected on Bangladesh farm - Nov 15, 2011
Tags: assam, bird flu, culling, dead chicken, district magistrate, epicenter, flu, gupta, h5n1 virus, human infections, influenza, influenza virus, krishna, meghalaya, outbreak, pally, pandemic, six days, surendra, west bengal