Culling of birds begins in AssamDecember 28th, 2008 - 2:03 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Dec 28 (ANI): With bird flu notified in seven new locations in Assam, culling has begun afresh in those areas.
The new areas including Manahkuchi of Hajo, Chayani Barduar block in Kamrup (Rural), Tihu-Barama of Baksa, Chachaligaon Burachowk in Nagaon, Rangamati and Aurpakmoniari Tiniali in Kamrup (Metro).
Meanwhile, culling has been completed in two affected districts of Barpeta and Bongaigaon.
A Compensation of Rs 1.45 crore rupees has so far been paid to poultry owners and so far over five lakh chicken and ducks, have been culled.
Veterinary officials have slaughtered over 300,000 chicken and ducks since late November, after the virus was detected in poultry last month in a village close to Guwahati.
The WHO has described the outbreak of bird flu in West Bengal last January, when more than four million birds were culled, as the worst ever in India. (ANI)
- Bird flu spreading to new areas in Assam - Dec 26, 2008
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Bird flu resurfaces in Tripura - Jan 25, 2012
- Meghalaya sounds alert on bird flu - Feb 18, 2011
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- Over 6,200 poultry culled after fresh flu in Tripura - Feb 02, 2012
- Bird flu: Culling of birds planned in Bhubaneswar (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Bird flu: 7,000 fowls culled in Bhubaneswar - Feb 05, 2012
- Bird flu detected on Bangladesh farm - Nov 15, 2011
- Tripura on fresh bird flu alert, bans poultry imports - Nov 19, 2011
- Bird flu case surfaces in Bhubaneswar - Feb 04, 2012
- Culling continues in Assam, as bird flu spreads - Dec 08, 2008
- Assam bird flu: poultry culling on, local resistance hampers drive - Dec 23, 2008
- Bird flu: culling operations on in West Bengal, Assam (Lead) - Dec 23, 2008