Culling continues in Assam, as bird flu spreadsDecember 8th, 2008 - 12:47 pm ICT by ANI
Kamrup (Assam), Dec 8 (ANI): At least 100,000 birds have been culled in Assam after bird flu began to spread in an alarming manner.
More than 100,000 chickens and ducks have been be slaughtered over the weekend in around 20 villages, after one of them, just 35 km of Guwahati, was hit by bird flu.
Authorities are worried about a new outbreak after some poultry deaths were reported in Palasbari.
“It is around between two to three lakh. About two lakh more need to be culled,” said S L Mewara, the state’’s commissioner of veterinary and animal husbandry department.
The virus has now spread to Barpeta and Nalbari districts besides Kamrup district. Samples sent earlier to laboratories in Bhopal had tested positive or H5N1 avian influenza.
The State Government ordered culling operations and officers began going from house to house urging villagers to hand over their poultry.
Sale and movement of poultry in and around Guwahati has been prohibited and precautionary measures stepped up in other parts of the state.
Migratory birds from Siberia and Myanmar are believed to be the carrier agent of the flu to Assam. India has not reported any human infections so far, though the first outbreak in poultry was reported in 2006 in Maharashtra. (ANI)
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- Bird flu: Culling begins in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- India confirms bird flu in Bengal, PM concerned - Sep 20, 2011
- Tripura on fresh bird flu alert, bans poultry imports - Nov 19, 2011
- Bird flu: Odisha begins culling poultry birds - Jan 12, 2012
- Tripura, Mizoram on bird flu alert - Feb 25, 2011
- Avian flu reported in Tripura, over 3,000 ducks being culled - Feb 18, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Fresh cases of bird flu in Tripura - Mar 06, 2011
- Odisha orders poultry cull after detection of bird flu - Jan 11, 2012
- Bird flu wreaks havoc in Assam, spreads to new areas - Dec 11, 2008
- Tripura on bird flu alert; central teams arrive - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: animal husbandry, assam india, authorities, bird flu, chickens, deaths, ducks, flu, h5n1 avian influenza, human infections, influenza, lakh, migratory birds, myanmar, outbreak, poultry, precautionary measures, siberia, state government, virus