CRPF troopers defuse bomb on Jammu-Srinagar highwayJuly 12th, 2012 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 12 (IANS) Alert troopers of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Thursday averted a major tragedy on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway by timely detecting and defusing an improvised explosive device (IED), an official said.
“Troopers of 24 battalion detected an IED planted in a culvert on the Jammu-Srinagar highway Wednesday night,” CRPF Inspector General (Operations) B.N. Ramesh told reporters here Thursday.
“The explosive device was defused around 12.10 a.m. Thursday with the help of a bomb disposal squad and a dog squad,” he added.
Ramesh said the timely detection of the bomb averted a major tragedy on the National Highway No.1A.
Asked whether the target of the IED were the pilgrims on the annual Amarnath Yatra, the CRPF inspector general said: “I cannot say whether the IED had been planted to target the yatris or any other vehicle. Our duty is to ensure safety of everybody who is using the highway.”
- Powerful explosive device found in Srinagar - Jun 30, 2011
- Army defuses 5 kg bomb on Kashmir roadside - Nov 17, 2011
- Explosive defused in Jammu and Kashmir - May 20, 2010
- IED found in Srinagar, defused - Oct 18, 2010
- IED detected in Srinagar, defused (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- 3 kg IED device found on Srinagar-Baramulla National Highway - Apr 08, 2010
- Explosive-laden car detected in Srinagar - May 17, 2012
- Timely detection of IED averts tragedy in Srinagar (Second Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Four IEDs detected, defused in Kashmir - Mar 15, 2011
- IED defused on Batote-Kishtawar Highway in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 20, 2010
- 50 kg IED recovered in Jharkhand - Jan 04, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir police defuse explosive device in Srinagar - Oct 18, 2010
- 1 killed, 15 injured in south Kashmir blast (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- LeT car-bomber module busted in Srinagar - Jun 14, 2012
- Bomb defused near Jammu (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: 1a, amarnath yatra, battalion, bomb disposal squad, crpf, culvert, explosive device, ied, inspector general, pilgrims, police force, ramesh, reserve police, target, timely detection, tragedy, wednesday night