CRPF trooper shoots himself in Kashmir (Third lead)May 30th, 2010 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar/New Delhi, May 30 (IANS) A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) trooper Sunday committed suicide by shooting himself with his service rifle in his camp in Jammu and Kashmir, officials said.
Constable Satyadan Meena, 25, killed himself in the 118 CRPF battalion complex in Gund village in the northern district of Ganderbal, state police officials said.
A CRPF spokesman said in New Delhi that the constable belonged to Sikar district in Rajasthan.
“Constable Meena killed himself with his service rifle in the bathroom of his camp,” the spokesman said, adding that the trooper returned from leave May 28 to join duty.
“He had joined the CRPF in 2004 and had been posted in the valley for the past one year,” the spokesman added.
A Jammu and Kashmir police officer in Srinagar said: “We are investigating the matter.”
Incidents of suicides and fratricidal shootouts have been reported among paramilitary and soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir since the separatist violence began 20 years back.
Long separation from families, hostile environment and lack of recreational facilities are often cited as the reasons for the suicides and killings.
Counsellors have suggested periodic leaves, recreational facilities in the camps and better command and control structure as remedies.
- CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir (Second Lead) - May 30, 2010
- CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir (Lead) - May 30, 2010
- CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir - May 30, 2010
- CRPF constable shoots self in Srinagar - Jun 14, 2012
- Trooper in Kashmir goes berserk, kills four (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- BSF trooper shot dead by senior in Kashmir - Dec 30, 2011
- Three CRPF troopers killed in Kashmir fratricidal shootout - Dec 25, 2011
- CRPF officer commits suicide in Kashmir - Aug 28, 2011
- Soldier kills four colleagues in Kashmir army camp - Apr 28, 2011
- Trainee cop commits suicide in Kashmir - Jan 27, 2012
- CRPF trooper kills colleague, shoots himself - Jul 14, 2009
- CRPF learning yoga to bust enemy within (With Images) - May 15, 2011
- Eleven army personnel killed in Kashmir avalanches (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: battalion, committed suicide, constable, control structure, hostile environment, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, killings, meena, New Delhi, police force, police officer, police officials, rajasthan, reserve police, separatist violence, service rifle, shootouts, state police, suicides