CRPF tightens security ahead of Amarnath yatraJune 5th, 2009 - 9:52 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, June 5 (ANI): Ahead of the bi-annual Amarnath pilgrimage starting mid-June, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has beefed up security to ensure an unhindered Yatra for pilgrims.
“We have stepped up our security set up for smooth conduct and incident-free Yatra from Lakhanpur, Jammu to Amarnath cave in south Kashmir. CRPF has also put in place anti-IED devices, frisking, screening equipment, other security gadgets and sniffer dogs,” said P Tripathi, spokesman for Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
Apart from CRPF companies, two women CRPF companies have also been inducted for the security of women pilgrims this year, Tripathi added.
“The CRPF would be guarding several camps in Pahalgam-cave and Baltal-cave routes, besides food and resting point’s enroute the cave shrine”, Tripati said while adding that CRPF jawans have also been put on security along the national highway from Lakhanpur, entry point to Jammu and Kashmir to base camps in Pahalgam and Baltal.
Apart from that quick reaction teams, anti-IED devices, security gadgets and sniffer dogs have been put in at various sensitive places to counter any untoward incident.
Over a dozen camps, helipads, food and resting points and entry points would be guarded round the clock, Tripathi said.
The Yatra will be held from June 15 to August 5. (ANI)
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Pilgrims on way to join Amarnath Yatra stopped due to inclement weather - Jul 24, 2010
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Amarnath yatra resumes after three days from Jammu - Jul 25, 2010
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- All set for Amarnath pilgrimage from June 29 - Jun 25, 2011
- CRPF recovers air pistol at Amarnath Yatra base camp - Jul 02, 2012
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- Fresh batch of 82,000 pilgrims leave Jammu for Amarnath - Jul 07, 2010
Tags: base camps, crpf jawans, gadgets, jammu, kashmir, pilgrimage, pilgrims, police force, reserve police, resting point, screening equipment, sensitive places, smooth conduct, sniffer dogs, south kashmir, spokesman, tripati, two women, untoward incident, yatra