CRPF constable shoots self in SrinagarJune 14th, 2012 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 14 (IANS) A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) constable Thursday committed suicide here by shooting himself with his rifle, police said.
“Today, CRPF constable Santosh Kumar, of 61 battalion, committed suicide inside the battalion headquarters at Shivpora, Srinagar, under the jurisdiction of police station R.M. Bagh, by shooting himself with his service rifle,” a police statement.
It said Kumar was taken to Shri Maharaja Hari Singh Hospital, where he was declared brought dead. A case has been registered.
The reason behind the suicide is not known.
Suicides and fratricidal attacks have occurred many times among the security forces deployed on counter-insurgency duties in Kashmir in the last 22 years.
Long duty hours under hostile conditions, separation from families and lack of recreational facilities have been cited as the reasons for these occurrences by counsellors engaged by the army and other security forces to address the issue.
Periodic leave, better working conditions, recreational avenues and more effective command and control structure are among the remedies suggested to address the problem.
- BSF trooper shot dead by senior in Kashmir - Dec 30, 2011
- CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir (Second Lead) - May 30, 2010
- CRPF trooper shoots himself in Kashmir (Third lead) - May 30, 2010
- Trainee cop commits suicide in Kashmir - Jan 27, 2012
- CRPF officer commits suicide in Kashmir - Aug 28, 2011
- Three CRPF troopers killed in Kashmir fratricidal shootout - Dec 25, 2011
- CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir - May 30, 2010
- CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir (Lead) - May 30, 2010
- CRPF learning yoga to bust enemy within (With Images) - May 15, 2011
- CRPF trooper kills colleague, shoots himself - Jul 14, 2009
- Soldier kills four colleagues in Kashmir army camp - Apr 28, 2011
- CRPF woman constable shoots herself dead (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Trooper in Kashmir goes berserk, kills four (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- On-duty cop commits suicide at Howrah station - Nov 12, 2011
- Haryana policeman shoots self - May 02, 2012
Tags: 22 years, bagh, battalion headquarters, committed suicide, constable, control structure, counsellors, counter insurgency, crpf, hari singh, hostile conditions, kashmir, occurrences, police force, police statement, police station, reserve police, santosh kumar, service rifle, working conditions