Critics brand Keira Knightley too skinny to play hourglass figured DuchessSeptember 9th, 2008 - 2:08 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 9 (ANI): English actress Keira Knightley, who had been criticised for being too thin in her latest role in The Duchess, arrived at the Toronto Film Festival wearing a strapless grey gown showing off her slender frame.
The biopic has Knightley, 23, playing the role of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, an 18th century society beauty and great-great-great-great aunt of Diana, Princess of Wales.
According to a famous portrait of Georgiana by Thomas Gainsborough, it could be seen that the lady had an ample figure, which is considered to be the fashionable silhouette of the day.
But in the movie there was no attempt to hide Knightley’’s naturally skinny frame, and it has lead critics to say that the actress has been miscast for the part.
Knightley looks woefully, painfully thin throughout… it’’s hard to listen to what she’’s saying when all you want to do is feed her chips, the Daily Telegraph review noted.
Another critic added that her being overly thin was not appropriate for the role, as it was not the fashion at that time.
She was far too skinny… in a time when the hour-glass figure was fashionable, the critic said.
But even with Knightleys figure coming under scrutiny, others have praised the film, saying it is a possible Oscar contender, with Ralph Fiennes” performance as the cold-hearted Duke of Devonshire singled out for praise.
For the actress, it was an honour to have been given such a role.
It was such an honour to actually be given this role. It was so incredible. There are relatively few leading roles for women, so to actually have one land on your doorstep was fantastic, Knightley said.
The fact that people are now liking it is so exciting, so I don”t think you can ask for anything more than that, she added. (ANI)
- Keira Knightley says playing The Duchess role was a real pain in the neck - Sep 28, 2008
- 'The Duchess' Keira Knightley's loo woes - Apr 01, 2009
- Christina Hendricks sparks sales of clothes that give hourglass silhouette - Feb 25, 2011
- Britney needs a makeover: Whitney Port - Jul 02, 2012
- Keira Knightley fits into a 23-and-a-half-inch corset! - Sep 19, 2008
- British women mostly have rectangular shape - May 29, 2011
- Brit women want Nigella Lawson's curves, not Keira Knightley's thin frame - Jul 22, 2009
- Weight issue doesn't bother Simpson - Nov 02, 2011
- I was told to lose weight to be famous, says curvy Sofia Vergara - Feb 23, 2011
- Keira Knightley couldnt breathe in The Duchess costumes! - Sep 04, 2008
- Knightley awed by Lagerfeld - Aug 01, 2012
- Keira Knightleys movie wig was a real pain in the neck! - Jul 22, 2008
- 'Harry Potter' stars Carter, Fiennes to star in 'Great Expectations'? - Apr 25, 2011
- Keira Knightley to play Princess Dis ancestor - Jun 13, 2008
- Top Wedding Dresses Of 2011: A Sneak-Peek - Jan 03, 2011
Tags: diana princess of wales, duchess of devonshire, duke of devonshire, english actress, georgiana duchess of devonshire, hour glass figure, oscar contender, princess of wales, ralph fiennes, toronto film festival