Crime against women on the rise in Bihar, says reportJune 14th, 2009 - 9:58 pm ICT by ANI
Patna, June 14 (ANI): A Government report suggesting rise in the number of atrocities against women being on the rise in Bihar last year, could be a setback to the State Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s initiatives for women welfare in the State.
Incidents of atrocities on women in Bihar witnessed a rise in year 2008, especially in the cases related to abduction, dowry-related deaths, molestation, eve-teasing and rape, a Government report has said.
According to the figures compiled by the State police headquarters here, as many as 6,186 cases of atrocities (1,041 incidents related to rape, 1,494 kidnapping, 1,233 murder for dowry, 2,230 dowry harassment and 188 cases of eve-teasing and molestation) against women were registered across Bihar in 2008.
A comparative study of the figures available suggested that there were rise in incidents in 2008 compared to the corresponding period previous year.
While a total of 1,012 cases were registered for kidnap of women in 2007, the number went up to 1,494 in 2008.
The number of incidents related to dowry death rose from 1,226 in 2007 to 1,233 in 2008. Similarly, cases of atrocities perpetrated for dowry rose to 2,230 in 2008 from 1,493 in 2007.
Cases relating to eve-teasing and molestation shot up to 188 during 2008, 20 more than those recorded in the previous year.
Also incidents related to kidnapping of women increased from 1,012 in 2007 to 1,494 in 2008.
Nitish, after forming State Government in Bihar in 2005, had initiated a number of measures to ensure women’s empowerment, the first being reserving 50 per cent of the posts for them in the Panchayati raj institutions and local bodies. (ANI)
- Bihar okays creation of 40 women police stations - Nov 03, 2011
- Short skirts cause women harassment: Trinamool lawmaker - Jul 28, 2012
- Crimes against women rise; 25 percent of rapes in Delhi - Jan 21, 2011
- Trinamool MLA clarifies 'short skirt' remark, Mamata refuses comment (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh report most dowry deaths - Aug 09, 2010
- UP Police chief, home secretary to review law and order - Jun 01, 2012
- Violence against women going down? - Aug 13, 2010
- Bringing in the new year with style - Jan 01, 2012
- Rape, molestation cases in Delhi up in 2010 (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- 7,563 rapes in Jharkhand in 10 years: Report - Apr 13, 2012
- 'Khap' bans jeans, mobile phones for girls in Uttar Pradesh village - Jan 18, 2011
- 'Crime Patrol' gives me sense of responsibility: Anup Soni - Apr 19, 2012
- Fast track courts for all rape cases, says Tirath - Jul 06, 2011
- Indian teams 10th and 13th in FIH rankings - Nov 02, 2011
- Krishna Tirath writes to Chidambaram on rising crime - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: abduction, atrocities against women, bihar, chief minister, comparative study, dowry death, eve teasing, government report, harassment, june 14, nitish kumar, panchayati raj institutions, patna, previous year, rape, setback, state chief, state government, state police headquarters, welfare