CPI protests against soaring priceNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:21 am ICT by admin
CPI General Secretary A B Bardhan warned the government of the situation that could arise in the very near future.
“Price rise is a volatile issue, and will continue to be contentious. What will the government do when people come out of their homes in villages and towns to protest? We are just trying to warn the government of the impending situation,” said Bardhan.
Agricultural output in the country has failed to keep up with rising demand, forcing the government to import wheat last year for the first time in six years. Production of pulses has also stagnated.
The government has tried to combat inflation by cutting some import duties, while the central bank has raised its short-term lending rate to its highest in four years. (ANI)
- CPI-M blames government for inflation - Nov 24, 2011
- Inflation rises to 7.55 percent in August - Sep 14, 2012
- Food inflation dips marginally - Nov 11, 2011
- Food inflation at 10-week high; Pranab terms it unacceptable (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- Food prices: Exports regulated, action against hoarders (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- China sets seven percent growth target - Feb 28, 2011
- Rising inflation due to festive season demand: Mukherjee - Nov 03, 2011
- High food inflation due to change in food habits? - Nov 08, 2011
- Pranab blames global issues for inflation, BJP walks out - Dec 08, 2011
- India's inflation soars to 7.55 percent in August (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- India's food inflation declines further, still in double digits - Nov 17, 2011
- Higher food prices push inflation to 9.73 percent - Nov 14, 2011
- For reforms, Pakistani daily cites India's example - Apr 03, 2012
- Every step being taken to tame inflation: PM - Aug 15, 2011
- CPI-M, BJP protest petrol price hike in Srinagar (Lead) - May 31, 2012
Tags: activists, agricultural output, combat inflation, contentious, future price, general secretary, import duties, import wheat, inflation cpi, placards, price hundreds, price rise, protests, pulses, red flags, volatile issue