CPI (M), Trinmool supporters clash in NandigramMay 9th, 2009 - 5:16 pm ICT by ANI
Nandigram (WB), May 9 (ANI): At least 10 people were injured in firing after a clash erupted between the CPI-M and the Trinamool Congress (TMC) workers in Jadubari chowk in Nandigram today during a 12-hour shutdown called by the TMC to protest against the arrest of three of its activists following clashes during Thursday’s polling.
The clash, which saw guns fired by both sides, broke out when the TMC was taking out a procession in the CPI-M dominated area.
Jadubari chowk had witnessed violence during the forth phase of Lok Sabha elections on Thursday in which three TMC supporters were injured.
Among the 17 constituencies spread over seven districts in West Bengal, Nandigram and Singur, the epicentre of the land stir that turned the tables on the ruling CPM in the 2008 panchayat polls, have been declared the most sensitive.
Singur falls under the Hooghly Lok Sabha seat and Nandigram is part of Tamluk. Both Singur and Nandigram will play a key role in determining the results of these two Lok Sabha seats. (ANI)
- Widespread violence in poll-bound West Bengal, one killed in Mukherjee's Jangipur constituency - May 07, 2009
- One TMC activist reported killed, two CPM activists injured in Nandigram violence - May 07, 2009
- Fourth round of Bengal polls: Spotlight on Singur, Nandigram - May 02, 2011
- Crucial rural Bengal areas in Tuesday's fourth phase polls - May 02, 2011
- Bengal's 'red fort' faces challenge as voting begins Monday - Apr 17, 2011
- Polls in Singur, Nandigram cometh, notification Thursday - Apr 06, 2011
- Trinamool wins in Bengal's political flashpoints - May 16, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee: Timeline of an intrepid politician - May 20, 2011
- Nandigram, Singur could be Left's undoing, say experts - May 09, 2011
- Timeline of Left Front government in West Bengal - May 13, 2011
- Trinamool misled rural Bengal: Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee - Apr 30, 2011
- Prohibitory order in Bengal court premises - Mar 20, 2012
- Former CPI-M MP arrested in Nandigram case - Mar 17, 2012
- High turnout in Bengal; Singur, Nandigram vote (Intro Roundup) - May 03, 2011
- Peaceful voting in fourth round of West Bengal polls (Third Lead) - May 03, 2011
Tags: activists, chowk, clash, clashes, constituencies, CPI, cpm, epicentre, guns, hooghly, key role, lok sabha elections, lok sabha seats, nandigram, polls, procession, tmc, trinamool congress, violence, west bengal