CPI (M) ready to take N-deal issue to peopleNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:51 am ICT by admin
Hinting at the hardening of stance by both the sides on the nuclear deal, Yechury said, “We are convinced that this deal is not in the interest of India. Those who are advocating this deal maybe they are convinced that the deal is in the interest of India.”
However, in contrast to Yechury’s hard talk, veteran CPI (M) Jyoti Basu’s statement was much mellower. The former Chief Minister of West Bengal expressed his hope to ’salvage’ the coalition and talked about the threat of communal forces (read BJP) making a comeback.
“We hope that we are able to salvage the coalition because the communal forces are still waiting in the sidelines,” he said, adding that his party is ready for the mid-term polls, “but the election should not be held.”
The West Bengal unit of the CPI (M) is considered to have a soft stance against the nuclear deal as compared to the tough stance taken by their New Delhi party colleagues like Prakash Karat.
External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee had met Basu this weekend and discussed with him the contentious issue.
The special UPA-Left committee, whose convenor is Mukherjee, has met several times to resolve differences that the two sides have regarding the deal, but has failed to make any noticeable progress.
The committee is meeting on Tuesday again. (ANI)
- Left accepts defeat in West Bengal, Kerala (Second Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Mamata's decision not to contest exposes weakness: CPI-M - Mar 05, 2011
- OK if Somnath campaigns for CPI-M, says Yechury - Apr 15, 2011
- Basu's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - Jul 08, 2011
- Presidential poll: Trinamool, CPI-M both losers (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Team Anna meets CPI-M over Lokpal bill - Nov 25, 2011
- CPI-M leaders meet to pick candidates for W. Bengal polls - Mar 12, 2011
- Congress attacks Karat on Lokpal bill remark - Jul 03, 2011
- From Raja's scalp to JPC demand - UPA-opposition battle hots up - Nov 15, 2010
- Opposition attacks government over railway accident - Jul 11, 2011
- Computer-shy CPI-M now logs on to Facebook - Dec 02, 2010
- Achuthanandan not in politburo, Buddhadeb in - Apr 09, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Congress warns Mamata Banerjee about deserting UPA - May 27, 2010
- BJP criticizes CPI-M leader for using foul language against Mamata - Apr 24, 2011
Tags: bjp, coalition, committee, communal forces, contentious issue, CPI, external affairs minister, India, jyoti basu, noticeable, nuclear deal, party colleagues, politburo member, prakash karat, pranab mukherjee, soft stance, UPA, west bengal