CP shootout case: Court to pronounce quantum of sentenceNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:44 am ICT by admin
The other policemen are Inspector Anil Kumar, Sub Inspector Ashok Rana, Head Constables Shiv Kumar, Tejpal Singh, Mahavir Singh, Constables Sumer Singh, Subhash Chand, Sunil Kumar and Kothari Ram.
The court also ordered initiation of criminal proceedings against ballistic expert Roop Singh for giving false investigation report.
On March 31, 1997, a Crime Branch team of the Delhi police, led by Rathi pumped bullets into two businessmen-Pradeep Goyal and Jajgjit Singh–, killing the two at the spot.
According to the prosecution, the team was chasing an alleged gangster. In Connaught Place, the team surrounded a Maruti Esteem car in which the alleged criminal was supposed to be going.
They then resorted to indiscriminate firing, killing the two businessmen in the process.
On September 8, 1998, the 10 accused policemen were charged with murder, criminal conspiracy and false evidence.
All the ten policemen, including Rathi were suspended when it was found that the two killed in the encounter were not the criminals but innocent civilians.
The CBI has claimed in its chargesheet in 1997 that in order to cover up their crime, the cops planted a pistol and a few cartridges inside the car to corroborate its claim that the first fire came from the businessmen.
But the forensic report disproved this theory that any shot was fired from the recovered weapon.
The sensational case had led to the removal of the then Delhi Police chief Nikhil Kumar, now a Congress MP. (ANI)
- CP shootout case: Supreme Court upholds life sentence for 10 policemen - May 02, 2011
- Home ministry to answer in CP shootout: Court - Jan 13, 2011
- Delhi staged shootout: Rs.15 lakh each for two victims' kin - Jul 04, 2011
- 15-day parole to police official in 1997 Connaught Place killing - Jun 15, 2011
- Delhi staged shootout: Rs.15 lakh for victims' families - Jul 04, 2011
- Connaught Place shootout: life term for 10 cops upheld - Sep 18, 2009
- CP shootout case: Supreme Court confirms cops' life sentences (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- 10 policemen get life sentence in CP shootout case - Nov 14, 2007
- Court notice for more relief for shootout victim's kin (Lead) - Dec 07, 2011
- CP shootout case: apex court confirms cop's life sentence - May 02, 2011
- Convicted Delhi policeman gets parole to study law - Mar 15, 2010
- Mayawati orders probe into girl's death at police station - Jun 13, 2011
- Court summons six cops over shootout - Aug 27, 2011
- Ex-cop gets bail in Rajasthan staged shootout - Aug 25, 2011
- Man wanted in 13 criminal cases arrested - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: businessmen, cbil kumar, connaught place, conspiracy, constables, corroborate, crime branch, delhi police, false evidence, forensic report, held suspended, mahavir, maruti esteem, policemen, rathi, sensational case, shiv kumar, sunil kumar