Court upholds Mumbai ATSs decision to invoke MCOCA in Malegaon caseJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 10:07 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Jan 22, (ANI): A special MCOCA court on Thursday gave its nod to Mumbai Police Anti-terrorist Squad to invoke Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) against the 11 arrested accused in the Malegaon blast case by stating that there was prima facie evidence against them of having aided and conspired to commit criminal activities.
The special MCOCA court took cognizance of the 4000-page chargesheet filed in the case observing that invoking MCOCA was valid in the case.
The eleven accused includes Lt. Col Prasad Purohit and Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.
The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) had filed a chargesheet against arrested accused on January 20.
MCOCA was invoked in the Malegaon case after one of the accused Rakesh Dhawde was chargehseeted in two other cases.
Rohini Salian, Special public prosecutor, told that Dhawde had committed more than one offence and that the sanction for invocation of MCOCA was given after the competent authority, a senior IPS officer, perused the documents.
Special MCOCA Judge Y D Shinde, after perusing the chargesheet, observed that there was sufficient material against the accused of having aided, abetted and conspired to commit criminal activities.
Accepting the prosecution’’s arguments, the court today took cognizance of the chargesheet, in which the accused have been charged under MCOCA, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA), Indian Penal Code (IPC), Arms Act and Explosive Substances Act.
The next hearing in the case is on 12th February when the judicial custody of all the 11 accused ends.
Anti Terrorist Squad had fileda chargesheet on Tuesday, against all the 11 accused in Malegaon blasts, in which six people were killed. (ANI)
- Court to decide on validity of invocation of MCOCA in Malegaon blast case - Jan 21, 2009
- Malegaon blast case: Supreme Court to hear Sadhvi Pragya 's appeal - Oct 04, 2010
- Court discharges two accused in organised crime case (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Court gives bail to nine in 2006 Malegaon blasts case - Nov 05, 2011
- Malegaon blast: Chargesheet against Pravin Mutalik - Apr 22, 2011
- Malegaon blast accused to contest Uttar Pradesh polls - Jan 23, 2012
- 11 Malegaon blast accused to be charged under MCOCA (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2010
- Malegaon blast: NIA to interrogate accused army officer - Jul 19, 2011
- Pragya Thakur arrested in Madhya Pradesh murder case - Feb 26, 2011
- A year on, 13/7 blasts' trial may take years to begin - Jul 13, 2012
- Maharashtra ATS arrest Mutalik in Malegaon blast case - Feb 01, 2011
- Malegaon blast: Purohit's custodial interrogation put off - Mar 21, 2012
- High court grants bail to two Malegaon blast accused - Aug 03, 2011
- Seven Malegaon blasts accused post bonds, out on bail - Nov 16, 2011
- CBI opposes bail plea of nine accused in 2006 Malegaon blasts - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: ats, cognizance, competent authority, crime act, explosive substances, indian penal code, invocation, ips officer, judicial custody, malegaon blast, malegaon blasts, pragya, prasad, prevention act, prima facie evidence, public prosecutor, purohit, rakesh, sadhvi, shinde