Court to resume pronounce of sentences in 1998 Coimbatore blasts caseNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:47 am ICT by admin
The 41 persons sentenced faced charges other than conspiracy, under the Indian Penal Code, the Indian Arms Act, the Explosive Substances Act and the Tamil Nadu Property (Prevention of Damage and Loss) Act.
The court said copies of the verdict would be given to them when delivery of judgment was completed for the last accused.
Of the 166 accused, the court had convicted 158 on various charges, including the founder of the Al-Umma, Syed Ahmed Basha and its General Secretary, Mohammed Ansari. Of this, the court had found 70 of the accused guilty on various grounds, including conspiracy.
The court had acquitted Abdul Nasser Madani, the leader of the Kerala-based People’s Democratic Party. The court had also given bail to seven others.
The verdict came nine years after the 12 blasts that rocked the city on February 14, 1998 in which 58 people were killed and over 200 were injured.
The blasts were targeted at a venue where senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L K Advani was scheduled to address a meeting.
In April 2000, a Special Court was formed to try the cases, and in the same year (October), charges were framed.
The trial started in March 2002, and has till date examined 1,300 witnesses out of a total of 2,345.
The arguments began in June 2006 and ended on April 10, 2007.
The Special Investigation Team of Tamil Nadu Crime Branch-Criminal Investigation Department, which probed the cases, has argued that “Operation Allahu-Akbar”, was part of a conspiracy to eliminate Advani. (ANI)
- Life sentence to 18 Coimbatore blasts convicts confirmed - Dec 18, 2009
- Court sentences 10 more to life in connection with 1998 Coimbatore blasts case - Nov 14, 2007
- Al-Umma president gets life in 1998 Coimbatore blasts case (Lead: Coimbatore blast) - Nov 14, 2007
- Court to pronounce sentence to 70 in Coimbatore blasts case - Nov 14, 2007
- Maudany's wife named in Tamil Nadu bus burning case (Lead) - Dec 17, 2010
- Activists of Muslim voluntary forum protest Madani's arrest by Karnataka police - Aug 23, 2010
- Madani likely to surrender before magistrate's court - Aug 17, 2010
- Conspiracy being hatched around me in Bangalore serial blasts: Madani - Jun 23, 2010
- Court to pronounce sentence for 12 in 1998 Coimbatore blasts case - Nov 14, 2007
- Death for three confirmed in 2003 Mumbai blasts case (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Kerala Police arrests Madani wife on terror charges - Dec 17, 2009
- Madani's hand suspected in Bangalore stadium blasts: V S Acharya - Aug 24, 2010
- 35 more convicts sentenced in 1998 Coimbatore blast case - Nov 14, 2007
- SC to hear CBI plea against Advani in Babri Masjid case - Aug 24, 2012
- SC split verdict on Madani's bail plea in Bangalore blast case - May 04, 2011