Court to pronounce sentence for 12 in 1998 Coimbatore blasts caseNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:14 am ICT by admin
Judge K Uthirapathi of the Sessions Court (Bomb Blast cases) set off the term against the period already spent by them as undertrials and ordered their release.
The charges against the 35 accused include attempt to murder, rioting, arson and possession of explosives.
The court had on September 28 sentenced 41 accused to rigorous imprisonment.
The 41 persons sentenced faced charges other than conspiracy, under the Indian Penal Code, the Indian Arms Act, the Explosive Substances Act and the Tamil Nadu Property (Prevention of Damage and Loss) Act.
In the case, the prosecuting agency registered cases against 168. Of these, one accused died in prison and another turned approver.
Of the 166 accused, a total of 158 have been convicted of various charges, while eight have been acquitted.
Among the eight not found guilty are PDP leader Abdul Nasser Madhani. They were also released.
Seventy accused were found guilty of major charges like criminal conspiracy and murder.
Twelve blasts rocked the city on February 14, 1998 that killed 58 and injured over 200 others.
The blasts were targeted at a venue where senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L K Advani was scheduled to address a meeting.
In April 2000, a Special Court was formed to try the cases, and in the same year (October 2000), charges were framed.
The trial started in March 2002, and has till date examined 1,300 witnesses out of a total of 2,345.
The arguments began in June 2006 and ended on April 10, 2007.
The Special Investigation Team of Tamil Nadu Crime Branch-Criminal Investigation Department, which probed the cases, has argued that “Operation Allahu-Akbar”, was part of a conspiracy to eliminate Advani. (ANI)
- 35 more convicts sentenced in 1998 Coimbatore blast case - Nov 14, 2007
- Hawara, four held guilty for Delhi twin blasts in 2005 (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Nine more convicts sentenced in 1998 Coimbatore blasts case - Nov 14, 2007
- Court to pronounce sentence to 70 in Coimbatore blasts case - Nov 14, 2007
- Al-Umma president gets life in 1998 Coimbatore blasts case (Lead: Coimbatore blast) - Nov 14, 2007
- Court sentences 10 more to life in connection with 1998 Coimbatore blasts case - Nov 14, 2007
- Godhra case: Death sentence for 11, life terms for 20 - Mar 01, 2011
- Enough proof against Lajpat Nagar blast accused: Police (Lead) - Sep 20, 2011
- Lajpat Nagar blast: Police seek death for three - Sep 21, 2011
- Arun Gawli, 11 others get life for corporator's murder (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
- Arun Gawli, 11 others get life for corporator's murder (Intro Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
- Godhra train burning judgement does not justify riots: Moily - Mar 01, 2011
- Court to resume pronounce of sentences in 1998 Coimbatore blasts case - Nov 14, 2007
- Death for three confirmed in 2003 Mumbai blasts case (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Punjab agriculture minister gets one year jail - May 05, 2012
Tags: 300, accused, allahu akbar, bjp leader, coimbatore blasts, crime branch, criminal conspiracy, criminal investigation department, indian penal code, l k advexplosive substances, rigorous imprisonment, sessions court, tamil nadu