Counting begins for Ballia, Bikramganj, and Balagarh by-pollsJanuary 2nd, 2008 - 12:28 pm ICT by admin
Ballia (UP)/ Bikramganj (Bihar), Balagarh (W Bengal), Dec 29 (ANI): Counting of votes for the three Lok Sabha seats - Ballia in Uttar Pradesh, Bikramganj in Bihar and Balagarh in West Bengal have begun this morning, amidst tight security.
The poll that witnessed an 80 per cent turnout in Balagarh on December 29, are expected to decide the fate of candidates from the Trinamool Congress, the Congress and the BJP.
All parties have fielded separate candidates who are directly locked in a fight against the ruling CPI (M) nominee Bhuban Pramanik, a leader of a fishermen organisation.
The Trinamool, the Congress and the BJP have fielded Asim Kumar Majhi, Biswanath Malik and Bansi Rauth, respectively. The CPI (ML) Liberation is also in the fray.
The by-polling was necessitated following the death of CPI (M) MLA Dibakanta Rout.
The other two by-elections in Ballia and Bikramganj were also held on December 29.
Over 40 per cent electorate cast their votes in the Ballia Lok Sabha by-poll. The seat fell vacant after the demise of former Prime Minister Chandrashekhar.
The results are expected to decide the fate of 16 candidates. While Samajwadi Party (SP) has fielded late Chandrashekhars son Neeraj Shekhar, the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) has fielded Vinay Shankar Tiwari, son of former state minister Hari Shankar Tiwari.
The BJP and the Congress have given tickets to Virendra Singh Mast and Rajiv Upadhyay, respectively.
About 32 per cent of voters exercised their franchise in the by-poll for the Bikramganj Lok Sabha seat.
Railway Minister and RJD Chief Lalu Prasad Yadav has fielded a Kushwaha candidate and is banking on the winning combination of Kushwahas and Yadavs.
The by-polling was necessitated following the death of JD (U) MP Ajit Singh. (ANI)
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Brisk voting in UP by-election at Mant - Jun 12, 2012
- Voting for Ballia, Bikramganj, and Balagarh by-polls begin - Dec 29, 2007
- Polling begins for Bastar amid Maoist violence - May 08, 2011
- Trinamool wins first assembly seat in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 15, 2012
- Denied bypoll ticket, Jharkhand Congress leader joins BJP - Jun 06, 2012
- JMM, Congress face dissention over by-poll - Jun 14, 2011
- Committed to restoring peace in Bastar: Raman Singh - May 05, 2011
- Trinamool retains Kolkata South with massive margin - Dec 04, 2011
- Soren rejects Munda's plea, JMM joins Jamshedpur by-poll (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Eight candidates for Bastar Lok Sabha seat - Apr 22, 2011
- Millions vote in by-polls in six states (Roundup) - Nov 30, 2011
- Denied bypoll ticket, Jharkhand Congress leader joins BJP (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- JMM rejects Munda's request not to contest by-poll - Jun 11, 2011
- Congress struggles to pick candidate for Bastar - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: ajit singh, bansi, bihar, bjp, CPI, december 29, electorate, former prime minister, lok sabha seats, majhi, neeraj, railway minister, rajiv, rout, state minister, tight security, trinamool congress, west bengal, winning combination, yadav